weld this to that

I want to weld a 3/4" shackle to a 3/4" round rod of cold rolled steel. I intend to use 7018.

What can I expect in brittleness?

I cold bent the 3/4" rod into a J shape for a hook to skid logs. I used my bare hands. Nah, I used a cheater bar. Well, actually, a friend and I were required with an 8' cheater pipe. I was really impressed.

There isn't much of a way to make an attachment point without some welding, and I know that will affect the properties. I just wonder how much I am going to lose.

This will be fun to field test in a DT or UUF mode. (Destructive Testing, and Use Until Failure)

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Will the loads be anywhere close to the working load rating of the shackle?

If not, I personally would not worry too much.

Ignoramus9096

If it is mild steel you should not loose much. The SECRET is to drill the shackle for a tight fit over the rod and chamfer the end of the rod and the hole where the rod comes through on both sides, welding it on the back side - basically a "plug weld" Definitely do it with a stick welder - much easier to get a good job than using a wire-feed. The chamfer on the hole where the rod comes through eliminates a sharp stress rizer, and welding the back, plug style, keeps the heat affected zone back in the "supported" area instead of out beyond the exposed weld.

Reply to
clare

Now that it's too late to thread it in a lathe,

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I have a bucket of those for sale

Reply to
Ignoramus9096

Then you will be fine. I would worry about other things, not the shackle breaking..

Next time, heat the rod to red hot prior to brnding. O/A works great for this.

Ignoramus9096