weldable pulley and hub

Milady went on a shop trip yesterday. On the list was get the biggest damn pulley you can find. The local Fleet Farm has a display of pulleys you can weld to hubs. It was all picked over, she didn't do well.

Anyone know of an on line source for a really big pulley? Need one inch shaft but I do know a machinist that can change that. Mcmaster Carr has an 18" for $173 but I hope to do better than that.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

What sort of power requirement is there. Type of belt required. Are you intending to use a V belt or would a poly V do the job. A poly V can be run on a flat surface IIRC the drive ratio is over 5:1 so you just need a poly V for the driver not the driven.

Reply to
David Billington

What kind of pulley? Something to turn a small belt? Or something thats 18" in diameter and weighs 75 lbs?

Swamp cooler pully or bigger?

"There are no leftists in mainstream American politics.

Just two right wing parties, one hard right and one softer." Christopher A. Lee, 8/18/2013

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Air compressors typically have a big ass pulley; the 5hp one that harbor freight sells takes a pair of 5/8 belts and it keys onto a tapered shaft that's appx an inch at the large diameter.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Probably fits the RM 59 also.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

follow up. Surplus center has a good selection, i went there.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Come on down to Yuma for a day. After we get back from fishing you can take this big ass pulley that's been laying in my back yard for the last 7 or 8 years home with you. It looks like cast iron, so probably not weldable, but you could certainly bolt it to a weldable hub. I didn't measure it, but it looks to be a bout 24". I sell it to you for a dollar if you pick it up, but if you ask me to ship it the handling fee will be horrific. LOL.

Bob La Londe

FISHING!? in Yuma as in AZ? Didn't think the fish did well under the catcus.

I'm a sucker for fishing anyplace. Wish i had time right now. Got about ten days till the storm (fall harvest) hits. I am counting the days till FL fishing already. This year i have to fish out of a 38' catamaran with twin diesels, 14' beam. I know, its a dirty job, but somebody has to do it.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

fishing, as in the colorado river runs through the middle of yuma (who's motto is: you gotta have a sense of yuma).

Reply to
chaniarts

Now that you mention it, I don't think I have ever caught one out from under a cactus, but I have yanked a few out from under palm trees and mesquite trees. I think I've even pulled a few bass out through the branches of an iron wood or two.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

14' beam on a 38' cat? That sucker will flip over the first whitecaps that show up.

"There are no leftists in mainstream American politics.

Just two right wing parties, one hard right and one softer." Christopher A. Lee, 8/18/2013

Reply to
Gunner Asch

He probably doesn't mean a sailing cat.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Ah! Thanks!

"There are no leftists in mainstream American politics.

Just two right wing parties, one hard right and one softer." Christopher A. Lee, 8/18/2013

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Its a Bertram, kind of like this one:

Except its a CAT and has two diesels. Custom fishing boat, less cruise amenities than the one above.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

But the link says its a Deep V!!

"There are no leftists in mainstream American politics.

Just two right wing parties, one hard right and one softer." Christopher A. Lee, 8/18/2013

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Yep, didn't find a link for a Bertram CAT in 38'. They quit making them in 1990

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Surplus Center, 18.75", 16#