Welding problems with vision

My first symptom of needing glasses was a collision with a train. I failed to notice the train. (it was an unlit unmarked intersection).

Ignoramus16736

Stupid train

Reply to
yourname

On 20 Jun 2005 20:32:26 GMT, the opaque Ignoramus16736 spake:

Man, your guardian angels were working overtime on that one. Not too many people can say they've been in an accident with a train and walked away (or merely lived.)

-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

Comprehensive Website Development ============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Been following this thread as it applies to me. I mostly do 4130 airframe welding with TIG. I have been experiencing a decline in both near and far vision as a function of aging. It really stinks. But to compensate I had my opthalmologist make me a pair of "welding glasses" They are bifocals with the line. The lower lens is for in close low amperage TIG work and the upper is set up for close to arms length. I use an autodarkening hood with the larger window and get by very well with this set up. The idea of a drape over the back of the hood is a good one as now that I am aware of it I can see the reflections. I held my hand back of my head an it made a real improvement in the contrast. The glasses cost me a little over a $100 because I used a frame from an old pair of glasses that was still in good shape. I do have to change glasses once I come out from under the hood.

Reply to
Ebby

"Ebby" ( clip) The glasses cost me a little over a $100 because I used a frame from an old pair of glasses that was still in good shape. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That's about what I paid. And then I misplaced them. Now I use cheap reading glasses, and they work almost as well (despite my astigmatism.)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Yep. I walked away with just a few minor bruises, and a shattered ego. Thanks for seatbelts. The car was totaled. I was lucky to have hit a train's carriage (I hit the middle of the train) and my car was thrown away from the railroad.

Ignoramus16736

Yeow, bet that was a hideous experience.

Reply to
JohnM

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 02:10:33 GMT, the opaque Ignoramus16736 spake:

Oh, you hit the train. It's usually the other way around and the car is run over by the train after being shoved along for awhile or batted a block away. Yeah, you really lucked out.

Hey, you missing seeing an entire _train_? You really DID need glasses, didn't you?

-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

Comprehensive Website Development ============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not really, there was not enough time to feel the misery of my impending death. And then I was instantly safe after having been thrown off the tracks, with my car (Ford Taurus).

Ignoramus30369

Absolutely.

I did need glasses, yes. :) It was dark and dusty, and the train was also dark and dusty and moving slowly.

Ignoramus30369

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 13:35:57 GMT, the opaque Ignoramus30369 spake:

Try selling the car used or taking it to the -junkyard- next time. That's a much safer form of recycling. ;)

-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

Comprehensive Website Development ============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sounds like some serious luck though.. need to not use any luck for a while, let it accumulate again.

Good that you came out of it ok though..

John

Reply to
JohnM

"I wonder if I am going to hit that mailbox (on the left side of the road) with my RF wheel?- still upright, but the windshield is over there and this beetle is somewhat distorted!" Apparently destroying the mailbox flipped the car and turned it end for end before it jumped the ditch and hit the back slope causing it to go end over and land on three flat tires caused by the tires peeling off the rims in the original slide. I was a bit stiff after that one. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

This was my solution for shop work, too. For most work, I can use my prescription distance glasses, sometimes with a magnifier hood, and it works out OK. The optical outfit I bought my bifocals from had a fitter that asked where I wanted the closeup portion of the lens located, they didn't just stick it where they thought it would be best. The location I picked turned out to be pretty good for really closeup work and also working on computers where I have to look up frequently. I also picked the largest lens opening and heaviest frames they had, I've had too many disintegrate with bumps and knocks. Not fashionable, but with a hood or googles on, who cares? So I have to haul one additional pair of glasses around for the close work, but I'd have to have readers anyway with contacts(which I also use, sometimes, just not in the shop).

Stan

Reply to
stans4