Welding rods (electrodes)

I picked this lot of mixed rods up yesterday

Probably about 500lbs of various brands of 6010, 6011, 6013 (Hobart, Fleetweld etc etc) About half are open, the other half factory sealed

About 50 lbs of Certanium cutting and grooving electrodes

probably 10lbs of silver brazing rod Id never seen before, with its own flux Certainium

Probably 200 lbs of stainless steel rod, another 50 lbs of cast iron rods

Probably 100 lbs of variouis exotic electrodes for disimilar metals. Certanium and Eutectics alloys mostly

Bout 50lbs of UTP E630, for welding T1 armor plate etc

There is a box of stuff that looks like aluminum or zinc...Marcaloy

1570, that says its for tig brazing aluminum...box is pretty rough, cant make out all the writing...anyone know what the zinc based fillers are?

And one box, 10lbs of what looks like bronze welding electrodes. Is there such a thing??? I cant make out the numbers and they are in a plastic bag, so there is no name.

Also 50-75lbs of something called Marcalloy 200. I cant find any references to Marks Manufacturing or any reference to Marcalloy electrodes. Anyone have any info on them?

Oh..there was also a couple full 12" spools of aluminum Mig wire and a couple full boxes of carbon arc rods, both round and rectangular, copper plated. Must be for arc gouging.

Pallet box was marked Boeing, so it must have come out of a Boeing plant. Looks like someone shoved the maint rod from the maint department into the crate. Shrug

Did I do good?

Now I need to get a bunch more ammo cans...damnit...

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Ammo cans are nice waterproof boxes, but another thing I have used with some success, especally for stuff I am currently working with is a PVC pipe cut to length with a glue on cap on one end and a male adaptor with a screw on cap on the other end. A buddy gave me a couple of them a many years ago, and now I make them up and use them for all kinds of things. Works great for long drill bits too. (I have bits upto six feet long).

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I have my bell hanger and long bits in PVC as well.

( I managed an alarm/telecom company for 18 yrs)

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

I am interested in AL wire and AL filler rod.

Ignoramus5311

Any time you get anything useful for $100 it's a good day. I could use a pound of the silver brazing rod and a couple carbon arc rods.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

How did you maintain your sanity? I started The Security Consultant in December 1993. I am going on my fifteenth year now. I undertand now why a lot of companies limit their scope. To me its not much different technically to install class 'A' fire alarm than it is to put in a decent phone system, or cable a network, but it never ceases to amaze me how a guy who can keep track of 1000+ conductors on a telephone backboard seems to need to be totally retrained to connect four lousy wires on a motion sensor.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Some guys get all of the good and heavy deals !

Looks like you scored big time. Martin

Mart> I picked this lot of mixed rods up yesterday

Martin H. Eastburn

Did you ever hire one that turned out to be color blind? I did. Sigh

Worked ok for 4 conductor, and the guy could tape a window like no one else...then I tried to get him to punch down some 50 pair....

Nightmare..utter nightmare

How did I maintain my sanity? It was still better than SEA.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

LOL. Yes I have. The guy had actually done very well on my apptitude test. On the first jobsite I took him on I ran him over the basics for terminating Cat 5 jacks and demonstrated it once. Then I went to punch down the panel while he did the jacks. Every single one was wrong, and not in the same way either. After taking him around and correcting a couple I asked him if he didn't understand that he had to punch the wires down according to the color code if he was just plain color blind. His face turned red and he promptly lied to me.

Yeah, worse if you taught him the old school telco method that all your mains are to be pull snug and punched down as, "They will never change. Only your cross connect wires change."

LOL. Fair enough.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Say...do you do DSC panels?

Im needing a PC3000 or PC2550, working used panel. Mine took a crap and Im trying to find one that doesnt have a lockout code activated. Id pay a reasonable value for one.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Talk to Jim Rojas in Florida. I quit installing DSC about ten years ago. About 4-5 years ago I sent all my older used panels to Jim. I'm sure I sent him some 2500s and 2550s.

or jrojas(at)tech-man(dot)com. Tell him I sent you. We are on good terms. You can also try his yahoo or icq addresses.

Yahoo jimrojas ICQ 20-116-219

Jim operates an unlocking service amoung other things. There is an eprom pin short method to unlock 2550s and older 1550s (pre V4.0), but sometimes it kills the dialers.

I'll drop Jim a message right now letting him know you may be contacting him. -- Just got a reply from Jim. He says he has plenty of 2550s and a few 3000s.

P.S. I install almost exclusively Napco Gemini panels these days except for FACP, and one of their big panels is supposed to support mercantile fire and sprinkler monitoring by next year (2009). I used to install a lot of FBII before they got bought out by Ademco and quit doing any real development.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Gunner, I have a source for ammo cans. How many do you want and what caliber?. I'll ask the guy to make you a deal. I think he has a lot of 7.62 and 5.56. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Located where?

I could use 20mm cans most of all for welding rod.

IRRC, and Ill check, standard rod bearly fits in the .30s

Thaniks!!

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Jesus Gunner! You gotta ask?

You could likely buy your next work truck on the proceeds from the silver solder alone, eh! What's the silver content on that stuff ? Last time I checked, the Hobby side of the world was charging a couple bucks or so per stick of Cad free, high silver content rod.

Good score!

I have seen bronze filler wire for MIG, in use sticking castings for statues together. I see no reason that there might not be a stick rod for same purpose.

Some of the stuff you got may only serve as trading stock or scrap metal, but it looks to me like you have at least enough welding rod there to keep the spare tire on your truck this time. :-)

Can't help with the aluminum/zinc alloy rods, other than to say that the ones I used required flux. They might be suitable for torch use, or not.

I think you mad out like a bandit.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I've seen stick wire for CuNiAl bronze, CuAlNi bronze, and I think one or two other types as well. The props on the boats are made out of bronze, and any time they need repairs they call up the guys with those particular quals.

AFAIK it's pretty rare stuff- I've seen it in the weld school, but PSNS only has a very small number of weldors who can use it.

I've also seen bronze bearing the label, "Naval Bronze." I've no idea what's in it....

Reply to
TinLizziedl

I probably should have mentioned that Jim has thousands of used panels laying around.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Confirm. Jim Rojas is good people. I got some software from him awhile back. Sure helped fix the problem I had.

I haven't been to alt.security.alarms in a while, wonder if Jim still posts there. I got tired of all the shit from Basshole.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

Ill get a hold of him. I also need a programming cable and software for a new DSC panel I installed for a friend. The programming has me by the ass. Better to simply sit down with a laptop and have at it.

Im open to changing panels to another brand, but I have the DSC LCD display/keypads in several places and cant afford to replace a number of keypads as well as a new panel.

Chuckle..I still have a couple of the old Napco prom programmers, and a NOS Napco panel, still in the box, thats at least 15 yrs old. IRRC it needed a programmer to install, and as I didnt have one, and keypads, it collects dust out in storage.

Lots of old alarm stuff back there. Racon doppler microway set for outdoors detection too...top wire pull switches for chain link fences...sigh...most NOS.

When the company was sold by the owners on their way to bankruptcy court..I lost 18 yrs of profit sharing, 401k, retirement..everything. So the owner handed me the keys and pink to the service truck and the keys to the stock room, told me to fill up the truck and stack it on the roof. He appologized for the screwing, which was some consolation, but didnt pay many bills. Sold some off to get by for a few months before taking another job, but still have bits and pieces left.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Yeah, I love laptop programing panels. Its the only way to go. On some of the bigger alarm./access combined stuff we just put it on the clients network and then we can give them access to activuty logs, and user programming from any work station on the network, and I can plug my laptop in anywhwere.

Anyway, I am sure Jim can hook you up with software and cable. If not drop me an e-mail at alarm(underscore)wizard(at)hotmail(dot)com. I'm think I have a DSC cable around somewhere, and I know I have several copies of ther software. I do service a few DSC panels from ancient installs, and takeovers.

How many. If you want I'll tell you what they cost in an e-mail. Still, why buy when what have will work.

ICK!!!!!

Beats nothing.

Reply to
Bob La Londe