welding test 1' vertical

I took a welding course back in the 80's worked for about a year building mining cranes for bucyrus erie went in the military haven't really welded since. I have a chance to go back into this field and have to take the vertical test w/ 1/16 wire on 1' plate. Standard test but my question is on getting started so i don't look like a complete idot is what temp should i start with and on an average how many passes should it take. HELP

Reply to
kevin

Is there a welding school nearby where you can take a week or two of a welding class and practice? You *have* to practice, your chances of passing a test cold after 20 years are nil.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I agree with the need to get in a little practice and advice from an instructor. I would assume the test would be done with a pre-prepared, properly V'd coupon (at least that is what I faced on a similar flat weld test). I went into the test more or less cold but I had the advice of the lead weldor where I worked. If I recall correctly it was seven or eight passes to complete the weld. Wire brush after *every* pass - zero inclusions allowed! Good penetration (specially on first [root] pass). No undercut and smooth crown on final surface. Much to my (and the company weldor's) suprise I passed easily. Still have the card to prove it. Sure pissed off my asshole boss who was looking for any excuse to yank/shorten my chain.

Reply to
Ken Davey

By 1/16" I take it you mean Gas Shielded Flux-Core wire.

1/16" is HUGE for solid wire and is not a common size used for Self Shielded Flux-Core wire.

So 1/16" dual shield wire, by almost any manufacturer will run happiest at 23 volts, 200 amps. This is pretty simple to dial in if your machine has meters. Set your volts at 23, and then adjust your wire speed until you get 200 amps. The weld should just purr.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Reply to
woodworker88