What bearings to use in Bridgeport spindles

Ccould someone remind me what bearings (dimensions) go into lower part of a Bridgeport spindle?

thanks

Reply to
Ignoramus5931

Pretty sure on the r8 spindle it is 2MM207* in Fafnir

Industry std nomenclature would be 7207* followed by a letter to designate contact angle, probably B or C

In Barden it would just be 207

SNFA has a bastard numbering system IIRC so you'd have to look it up using the boundry dimenions.

Here's a nice bearing manual in .pdf

PrecisionmachinisT

I've got a set of Fafnir's bought on ebay, waiting for time and motivation to install. Box says 2MM207WI DUL, additional info says 100% tested per ABMA STD 13, ABEC 9-MMV

There's a couple folks selling these and the Barden bearings on ebay. Might do well to price shop. I don't recall what I paid, but it was a lot less than list price in the MSC catalog.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Got it. Thanks. I have two pairs of 2MM9107WI, and wonder where they go, I thought Bridgeport.

This is awesome. Thanks

Reply to
Ignoramus5931

Too small at 35X62X28--I would guess they were probably being stocked for a grinding wheel head of some sort and not for something with a through-hole.

They would also be about the right size for a low-load high-speed ball screw thrust bearing depending on actual contact angle.

You're perfectly welcome.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

ABEC 9? That sounds to me like a bearing for a surface grinder. If you got it cheap, you got a real deal. If memory serves a mill usually uses something like an ABEC 3 (Use caution here, It has been something like 20 years since I checked up on bearings) and a table saw would uses the common ABEC 1. Price goes way up in between.

Roger Shoaf

Reply to
RS at work

Yes, I think that these are for Cincinnati #2 grinders.

Ignoramus14275

IIRC, paid something like $125 for the pair. ABEC9 is more than I need for sure, but it's not like I paid full rate for them. Nothing like a like a little overkill...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson