What inside of an air tank looks like

I am selling a big air tank, that has an opening through which I could stick my hand with a cell phone and photograph the inside. I was rather surprised how clean and rust-free the tank looks inside. No doubt, this is so because the tank held dry air and had a drain valve.

What you see is the cylindrical part on the left side, joined to a hemispherical round end on the right side.

Ignoramus27134

Ignoramus27134 fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That's cool, Ig! Imaging what it would have looked like if it had been hot-dip galvanized after welding!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I would imagine that it is difficult to hot dip galvanize an inside of any tank.

Ignoramus27134

Ignoramus27134 fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

No, not technically difficult, just a large heavily mechanical operation. They do it all the time. It takes a BIG vat of zinc, but they do it.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I coated the inside of a 60 gallon air tank with LPS-3. It took only a small amount of liquid and a way to suspend, roll and tilt the tank.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Decades ago, Dad built a 180 gal. tank on a trailer for av gas. He had it hot dipped. He just had to make sure there were adequate cutouts in the internal baffles top and bottom so it'd drain.

We used that thing for many years to do spray jobs. There was room on the trailer for a 2" Kohler pump and hose. The insecticide or whatever in drums would be dropped off at whichever strip we were using, always one beside a rice canal. I'd throw the suction hose in the canal (screened inlet tied in a 5 gal. bucket). Lay out the discharge hose toward where the planes would turn around. Dad had made a graduated dip pipe with a setscrew collar that screwed into a

2" bung and was hosed into the inlet side of the pump. I'd set the level for the amount of chemical for a load, hook up to the bottom load port with the camlock hose, open the valves, start the pump and fill the hopper. When the dip pipe sucked air, I'd block that in and finish the water load.

Those Ag Cats would haul about 300 gal. of mix.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor