What is it? CCIII

Just posted set number 203:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

1122. A surveyor's tape measure.

1123. I'll guess the case for a theodolite or other surveying equipment.

1124 A burner of some sort. Looks a bit like a weed whacker.

1128. This is a hygrometer kit for accurately measuring the specific gravity of fluids. Common in the brewing industry as well as many others. The thermometer on the sample container allows the user to correct for the temperature of the fluid being measured.

Reply to
Dave Baker
1124. Gasoline powered soldering iron. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

1126 Watchman's Key box.

These little boxes held a coded key which a night watchman would access while making his rounds and "punch in" to a paper tape he carried around with him in a special device. It was a way of establishing/proving that he had actually made his rounds (and not just slept his shift away).

Rich

Reply to
Rich

1123- contains an antenna?

1124- gasoline or kero fired soldering iron

1125- spoon for handling/dispensing reactive compounds while doing 'chemistry-type-stuff'

1128- for measuring the specific gravity of, well, specifically what? Maple syrup?, no, that wouldn't need different bobbers...

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Map case?

Agree -- something of the sort.

Close, at any rate. I imagine it's for measuring drugs, from back in the old days when nearly every prescription was compounded on the spot by a pharmacist.

Measuring the alcohol content of various liquids would be my guess, hence the need for different floats. Beer is typically around 6% alcohol, wine about

12%, port about 18%. Liquor is highly variable, usually between 30% and 80%. A single hydrometer could be used for both beer and wine, but probably not for port; one that works for port might not for brandy; and one that works for brandy might not for moonshine.
Reply to
Doug Miller

1127: This is a military demolition charge computing tape, made by Justice Roe and Sons. You use the correct scale to measure the thickness of the type of fortification you wish to breach, and the scale reads in pounds of tnt needed. It also gives factors depending on the placement of the charge, i.e., centered on the wall, at the base, etc.

These tapes are quite hard to find, and in fact, were classified military items only available to the proper personnel. I spoke to J Roe in the late 1980's when I found one, and they explained that they had been only been declassified after the Vietnam conflict.

I am descended from the Roe family (my great-great grandfather was a Roe), their factory was on Roe Blvd in Patchogue, Long Island. They have been absorbed by the Stanley Group.

Reply to
DT

Oops, that should be the Cooper Group, Stanley's competitor. They also own Lufkin, Crescent, Weller, and many other tool companies

Reply to
DT

1122 Surveyor's measuring tape. Probably one "chain" in length, the steel tape designs replaced chains as they were easier to handle (not because they wore out less, even on a chain that's negligible). it'll be calibrated somewhere with correction factors for temperature. 1123 carrying case for something, probably the tripod for surveying gear. "AAI" is the American Alpine Institute (a climbing organisation) so it was probably used to support a theodolite when measuring the heights of peaks. 1124 Soldering iron. Looks like it's petrol-fired rather than paraffin, as I can't see a pre-heat cup. 1125 Marrow spoon for hungry chemists. I imagine it was made as a lab spatula for something noxious that would react with the more common nickel spatulas. However chemists are getting hungry these days and they'll eat anything (and with anything). 1126 Covered wall-mounted box, but not sealed or locked in any way. Holy Water was usually open topped, so I'm guessing this was for dry powder like chalk, where people (competitors?) needed to coat their hands frequently for a better grip. 1127 Engineer's tape measure, from the days when "engineering" meant military engineering or sapping and was all about digging or demolishing things. It measures the thickness of various materials and is calibrated in charge weights to put a hole through them.

I've only ever seen old ones before on cloth tapes. This looks modern? So I'll guess Vietnam era.

1128 Hydrometer. High accuracy one, as it uses a constant diameter flask to minimise surface tension variation and is also calibrated for temperature change. So I'd guess it's related to government taxation on alcohol.
Reply to
Andy Dingley

or even a hydrometer kit :)

Reply to
Dave Baker

Interesting set this week.

1128. The labels on the various tubes seem to have the image of presidents on them? Washingtons looks like the same image as the older dollar. As far as I can determine, Hayes was never on any denomination of currency. Is it common for presidential images to be used on tax stamps of some sort? Googling isn't doing much for me. Just curious.
Reply to
BillM

1122: Surveyor's tape

1124: Soldering iron. Liquid fuel... Naptha? Kerosene?

1128: For measuring the specific gravity of a variety of liquids?
Reply to
Dave Balderstone

1122: Tank gaging tape
Reply to
Ned Simmons

1123: Storage box for core (earth, ice?) sample 1125: Marrow spoon 1126: Match box (hung next to wood stove)

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things

Marv
1122: Definitely an engineer's tape 1123: Looks like my plastic drawing (blueprint) holder, but I think it may be more for core samples. 1124: Looks like this one has already been answered 1125: Coke spoon for the large nostriled user, holds 1 gram. 1126: Even with my glasses on I cannot read the text on the lid.

Dave FL

Reply to
Dave

These were used from post WW II through Vietnam.

Reply to
DT

Actually, I'm wearing the badge of the Grammar Police here. In the blurb for #1128, "is comprised of" doesn't mean anything.

To comprise is to contain, to be composed of:

to say, "is comprised of" is functionally equivalent to saying, "is was composed of of".

Ergo, you'd either say, "is composed of" or "comprises".

And, it's a double-whammy, because usually the people who say that think it makes them look sophisticated. ;-)

Cheers!

Reply to
Apostrophe Police

Pffhhht. Pedantic grammar tyrant.

From loosey-goosey (descriptive) Websters:

3 : compose, constitute

usage Although it has been in use since the late 18th century, sense 3 is still attacked as wrong. Why it has been singled out is not clear, but until comparatively recent times it was found chiefly in scientific or technical writing rather than belles lettres. Our current evidence shows a slight shift in usage: sense 3 is somewhat more frequent in recent literary use than the earlier senses. You should be aware, however, that if you use sense

3 you may be subject to criticism for doing so, and you may want to choose a safer synonym such as compose or make up.

From almost as loosey-goosey Dictionary.com:

-Usage note Comprise has had an interesting history of sense development. In addition to its original senses, dating from the 15th century, "to include" and "to consist of" (The United States of America comprises 50 states), comprise has had since the late 18th century the meaning "to form or constitute" (Fifty states comprise the United States of America). Since the late 19th century it has also been used in passive constructions with a sense synonymous with that of one of its original meanings "to consist of, be composed of": The United States of America is comprised of 50 states. These later uses are often criticized, but they occur with increasing frequency even in formal speech and writing.

From constipated (prescriptive) American Heritage:

USAGE NOTE: The traditional rule states that the whole comprises the parts and the parts compose the whole. In strict usage: The Union comprises 50 states. Fifty states compose (or constitute or make up) the Union. Even though careful writers often maintain this distinction, comprise is increasingly used in place of compose, especially in the passive: The Union is comprised of 50 states. Our surveys show that opposition to this usage is abating. In the 1960s, 53 percent of the Usage Panel found this usage unacceptable; in 1996, only 35 percent objected. See Usage Note at include.

Yer fightin' an uphill battle, Rich.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress
1122 is definitely NOT a surveyors tape. My guess is that is for measuring the circumference of a round, vertical tank----the brass vernier can be dropped to hold its place while you walk around the tank... The tape is probably marked every 6 inches to which you can add another 6 inches measured to the nearest 1/16"-------???????

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Wass

Nah, tank gaging tape - see 515E...

Though 1122 appears to be a Lufkin rather than a Starrett tape.

Reply to
Ned Simmons