What is it? CLXIII

As also mentioned on my site, I'll be out of town for a couple days and won't be able to post the answer page until Saturday.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

941 looks like it could be a Fire station smoke room, that is a training room set up to do blacked out rescue training in smoke fill environments.
Reply to
Robin Halligan
942. A fireplace jack. For adjusting the height of a cooking pot over an open fire or fire in a fire place. 945. I'm guessing a hammer to give beter leverage as you pull nails. You change up to the next puller teeth as the nail gets further out of the wood. Thanks Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

943. Pencil sharpener.
Reply to
efgh

942 is a Pot Trammel, used for setting a cooking pot's height above a fire to control the heat. I've made dozens of them. :)
Reply to
John Husvar

Isn't the jack is the part the trammel hangs from, or is that the crane?

Anyhoo, I always called them trammels. I think I still have one hanging in the smithy.

I've made a lot of campfire tripods, grates, and crossbar standards, fireplace equipment, (but, oddly, no andirons) cranes, spit setups, chains, and more "S" hooks than I ever care to remember, but I seem to have forgotten some terminology since it's been a while ago.

Going to have to go back and look at all those books, I guess. :)

Reply to
John Husvar

941. These look a lot like the buildings used to train firefighters. But they look too clean for that sort of thing. 945. A hammer with three extra claws to pull out nails of different height above the wood??
Reply to
Lee Michaels

940 -

941 - Fire training facilities. One for normal structures and one for high rise/silo and high level rescue use. Looks like they are new.

942 - Ice saw with helper handle.

943 -

944 - Old leather skiveing tool?

945 - Hammer with a jack style nail puller. Designed to remove the nail with the least amount of bending so it can be reused easier.

Reply to
Steve W.

Now that claw hammer is "RIGHT ON" Wish I had one like that. Would'n need to keep looking around for a small block of wood. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

I believe you have the correct answer but not all of the buildings are burned. Many are used for training the firemen to scale or enter buildings. They add fire later to other buildings.

Reply to
Leon

That makes sense. Most of the buildings I have seen for this sort of thing have been set on fire many times. Even though the building is built to withstand this constant flame treatment, the building takes on a chalky, deathlike patina similar to the armored vehicles that the military uses for target practice.

Reply to
Lee Michaels
944 looks like it could be a knife sharpener. As you darw the knife through, the two cones would rotate, filing off metal.

John Husvar wrote, regarding 942: (clip) I think I still have one hanging in the smithy. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Congratulations, John, for finding a way to work the word "smithy" into a sentence, and for doing so CORRECTLY.

Under the spreading chestnut tree, The village smithy sat, Amusing himself by abusing himself, And catching it in his hat.

An example of the popular misuse of the term.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

940: Obvious. It's an 'E' clamp.
Reply to
darkon

In a similar vein, SWAT training buildings.

Reply to
badger.badger

Working it in? Heck, I work _in it_ whenever MS, honeydo jobs, and my part-time job permit.

In there is a gas forge, a 200-something (like 20-something only worse)

280-pound Peter Wright anvil with a better pedigree than my own, miscellaneous striking hammers, set hammers, tongs, flatters, punches, chisels, chasing tools, hardy tools, fullers, jigs, two welders, torches, grinders, material for a charcoal forge and bellows, etc. etc. etc. and stuff I probably forgot I have until I trip over it. It'd take a fair sized truck to haul it all away in one go.

Then there's stock from found material to new CR, HR, and misc. alloy tooling and knife stock.

That's all in a 12x20 building and a 10x20 rack/storage area. The farkin' horse has more room! :)

Jeez, I wish I hadn't started thinking about it! Oh, well, my heirs and maybe the EPA can worry about it someday:)

Ayup, as anyone who read the poem would see. Simply making it: The village smith he sat, would make it correct usage -- well, if the particular smith in question did sit there amusing himself so. :)

Reply to
John Husvar

According to R.H. :

Of course, posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

940) It *looks* like a small version of a furniture gluing clamp, except for the almost knife-blade like projection to the upper right as it is photographed.

The bars easily slide along the rectangular bar, as long as they are not having pressure applied out at the ends of the arms. Once the pressure is present, they lock and stay locked until the pressure is released. Of course, the pressure is applied by the brass or bronze thumbscrew.

It looks as though it has had a lot of pressure, because the rectangular bar appears to have a bit of a curve in it.

My guess about the "knife-blade like projection is that it is intended to slide into a retainer in the workbench to keep the workpiece above the workbench surface.

941) My guess is that this is a disguised microwave tower or cell phone tower, with the rails on the roof of the electronics support building suggesting that workers frequently have to walk up there to take RF signal strength readings.

The windows of that building look strange, too.

942) An adjustable length hanging strap for something -- and I think something heavy. The design of the ratchet assembly is such that you can't release it when there is a full load on it. 943) Another (and cruder) variant of microtome?

Something for trimming the end of a cigar prior to lighting up?

944) Perhaps for test grinding of grain in the field? The conical point end looks like a millstone, other than being steel.

Or perhaps a knife sharpener? Yes - I think that is it.

945) A saw specialized for disassembling constructions, with the design being such that you can take several pulls at a long nail with the extra claws, so you don't have to put a chunk of 2x4 under the head to get enough pull to complete the extraction of the nail.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Well, got off my lazy rear and looked it up.

You're correct about the crane, alright.

Pot jack is apparently an alternate name for a pot trammel.

There was another item also called a jack having to do with fireplaces, but darned if I can find a reference right off. After 20+ years, you'd think I could remember.

Well, maybe not. There are those senior moments. It's just that "moment" has such a _variable_ length any more!:)

Reply to
John Husvar

"DoN. Nichols" wrote: ( 945) A saw specialized for disassembling constructions, (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ A claw saw?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

According to Leo Lichtman :

I said *saw*? Obviously, hammer.