What is it? LXXVII

A new set of photos has been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

#443: Hammer for body work, sheet metal work #444: Tool for pressing/forming caps onto small bottles. Like vaccine bottles etc. #445: for folding paper. "Scribe" a groove into paper, then bend it along that groove. #447: some kind of quick caliper?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

442 Stud or bolt remover
Reply to
Norman D. Crow

444. Shotgun cartridge roll crimper
Reply to
Badger

I'd think for likely it's for (re)loading shotgun shells

Reply to
Bruce Bowler
442 is a screw remover
Reply to
eag111

442 - "easy-out" type tool. 443 - bung hammer? 444 - roll crimper 445 - seaming tool 446 - 447 - some type of ice tong?
Reply to
Steve W.

437 dowel rod
Reply to
Xenophon

"R.H." writes in article dated Thu, 01 Sep 2005 10:06:52 GMT:

436 looks like a fancy spindle.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Spud Demon
442: screw/bolt extractor 443: smithing hammer, for getting into highly raised work 445: marking knife 447: haybale lifter thingy. The lifting point is between the gear teeth. The lever is the release thingy that would have a line on it

yours, Michael

Reply to
Michael Houghton

442. industrial hemorrhoid remover 443. autobody repair hammer 444. shotgun shell crimper 445. carpenter's marking/striking knife 446. some sort of alcohol burner? 447. log/timber carrier, maybe block ice carrier - handle is for releasing the grip
Reply to
Doug Payne

Don't think it's a hayhook although I suppose it could have been used as such.

Can't get much of a feel for the overall size as I have no idea what the

19" dimension is in reference to, but I'm thinking it looks more like a light logging hook than for hay purposes.

But, hey, who knows what them crazy Canadians did, eh? :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Heyyyy, I resemble that remark!

I agree, too small for a hay hook, which typically only had one hook with a T-handle. At least when I loaded hay those many years ago. Nowadays it's giant round bales and a forklift, except for the local Mennonites and Amish who still load horse-drawn wagons and loaders with pitchforks.

Logging hooks are not usually big, at least not the handheld ones. There's a practical limit to how big a log a couple of loggers can lift.

Reply to
Doug Payne

Reply to
machineman

That's a hand hook for bundles or small square/round bales...

A double-hook similar to that shown was used often for loose hay in lofts, loading/unloading wagons, etc. For that purpose it seems far to small and I've not seen one w/ the ratchet mechanism, either.

And, of course, don't forget the 40 or 60-ft boom stacker... :)

Here most everbody simply uses a balefork on the tractor for moving just a few. Almost everybody has gone to the 2T round here as well.

That's why I made my guess...I'm thinking this one might have been used w/ a team. (But what do I know--ain't no trees within 200 miles of here... :) )

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Regarding 447: Perhaps a clamping hook for pulling roots and smaller stumps in clearing farm land. Agree that it is much too small and heavy for a bale-grabber and too small for a loose-fodder fork, which more typically have an 'armspan' of 6 feet or more.

Reply to
Fred R

442 - EZ Out 443 - Peen hammer 444 - Bananna straightener 445 - Typesetter's linoleum knife 446 - Cover for early multi freq radio crystal oven 447 - Log/lumber hook or Amish navel piercing device

Lumpy

-- In Your Ears for 40 Years

Lumpy

Did you ever tell us fer sure what 436 is?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I'm thinking it was more like a "skidder" hence the latch mechanism?

Doesn't look tough enough to me for rough work such as the stump puller although that's hard to judge from the picture--if knew how much it weighed might help to judge.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The overall length in the first photo is 19".

Rob

Reply to
R.H.