What is it? LXXXVI

A new set has just been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

496: For a shaft coupler, it is too short. So it is some kind of stop on a shaft. 497: Blow torch. A "bernzmatic"? 498: A mass product. Wood related. 499: Very first prototype of a Russian back scratcher. 500: Flintstone, Outdoor usage. 501: Old tool. :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

From Rec.woodworking,

#496: keyed collar for a drive shaft, maybe holds a fan? #497: blow torch or an old paint gun #498: These hold in glass before you glaze them #499: Back scratcher? Rug stretcher? #500: Good for making sparks?? #501: Crevice tool? For cutting a potato in half?

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Have to correct myself: IIRC, there is a stick (can't be seen on the photo) with some kind of fabric beeing penetrated with gas. You whipe the stick over the flintstone (round on top of photo) and ... fire!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Or a stop collar for a 1/4" drill bit, or any other 1/4" shaft requiring a stop or lock.

Definitely an old blowtorch.

They're called "glaziers points", these are a newer version of the old flat triangle ones.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

497 is a part of a blow torch. The "hook" and the channel are there so one can hold the soldering iron in the flame.
Reply to
Unknown
496. Don't know, but fastens to a rotating shaft. 497. Gasoline blow torch. Still have one. 498. Window glass glazier's points. The rest are unknown to me

Gripper, puller sample block sure looks familiar, but just won't come

DanG

From RCM

496. A slotted, keyed collar 497. Blowtorch head 498. Glazier's points 499. ??? 500. Pocket guage 501. Shingle spud
Reply to
Gary Brady

Surprisingly easy, for me, this time:

496. Drill depth stop 497. blowtorch 498. glaziers tacks, for holding window glass in. 499. I'm guessing it's another form of carpet puller? 500. magnesium fire starter 501. tanner's flensing tool of some sort?
Reply to
sewiv
496. chisel bade holder for a small planer 497. gasoline blow torch 498. window glazing points 499. horse hoof scraping tool to clean out muck from shoe on horse 500. flint and steel for lighting fires 501. handle to lift an old dutch oven
Reply to
Greg Krynen

Wow, Rob, tricky this week.

The only one I know is that #500 is a firestarter (magnesium block and sparker rod.) shave off a bit of the block into your tinder,then use the back edge of your knife on the rod to strike sparks onto the shavings.

Some guesses: #501 could be the tool used to lift the burner lids on an old wood stove.

#497 --an old blowtorch head?

Barb

Reply to
Barbara Bailey

What's the key slot for?

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

A keyed drill. For drilling key-holes. Never heard of? :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

#496 Depth stop collar for 1/4" drill bit. #497 Blow Torch (Antique) #498 Glazing points #499 For lifting something?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Not a key slot, but to allow the collar to collapse easier.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

496: Drill depth stop 497: Blow torch 498: Glazier points 501: Chisel of some kind
Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Looks like allthe ones I know are already answered. I thought the metal in the "fire starter" was called "Mischmetal". I don't think it is plain magnesium.

Other comments: The blowtoarch is just like one I have. Just last week I ran into the "new" glazier points while looking for the old (triangle) style. The clamp ring, I've seen many used in lots of places.

...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

I don't know about that. When my husband gave me one, he said it was magnesium, but neither he nor I are metallurgists. All I know is how to use it.

Reply to
Barbara Bailey

Thank you John.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

According to R.H. :

Again -- posting in rec.crafts.metalworking.

496) A collar which slides onto a shaft, and then clamps there by tightening the Allen head cap screw visible in the notch on the top left. It closes the slot somewhat, tightening the collar onto the shaft.

The function is to keep the shaft from sliding relative to the bearings in which it is mounted. There will likely be one of these on either side of the bearing assembly -- or a shoulder on the shaft on the other side of the bearing assembly.

Is that a groove turned in the face, or is this a two-part one, with a collar to adapt it to a smaller shaft than it was originally designed for?

497) An old blowtorch -- of the style designed to heat a soldering copper (which rests with its shank in the notch just above the flame output end, and the shank near the handle goes in the 'C'-shaped rest.

It is either kerosene or gasoline fueled, and the tank has to be hand-pumped to higher pressure before it is started. Once it is going, the heat vaporizes fuel in the tank and maintains the pressure.

498) These look sort of like the clips used to support shelves, but I don't think that this is right. Perhaps they are designed to serve a function similar to glazier's points, except that they will survive more side pressure, thanks to the bent "legs"?

499) Nasty looking device. Obviously for pulling something tight, but I'm not sure what. If there were only two rows of spikes, I might think a leather drive belt for a machine tool, to be laced to the other end through the same holes.

500) You've made it half-way to 1000 now!

I think that this is a fire starter. You scrape a knife blade along the black rod, and it shoots out sparks to light tender. I think that it is flint, but I'm not sure.

The metal frame may also be an alloy which is easy to light in thin shavings, so you shave it first to make the shavings, and then turn it around to generate the sparks to light it off. Perhaps magnesium?

501) With a longer wood handle and a sharper edge, I might consider it to be a "flensing" knife used in stripping the blubber off of a whale carcass back in the old days of whaling.

As it is, I have no idea on this one.

Now to see what others have guessed,

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to