What is it? Set 414

I need some help with three of the items this week:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2400. Magdeburg Hemisphere to demonstrate vacuum.
kfvorwerk

2396 a shingler's hammer
Reply to
Mouse

2396: Not sure of the intended purpose of this particular multi function hammer/hatchet device... however an OT thought:

It's my personal observation that the more 'things' a device does, the less 'things' it will do well.

Largely holds true for people too...

Erik

Reply to
Erik
2396 I agree with Mouse, it looks like some sort of shingler's tool.
Reply to
kimosabe
2396 I agree with Mouse, it looks like some sort of shingler's tool.
Reply to
kimosabe

2395 -

2396 - Looks like an old roofers hammer.

2397 - Old version of a door lifter?

2398 -

2399 - Looks like an umbrella stand.

2400 - Already answered.

Reply to
Steve W.
2397 This is interesting. It is obviously a lever, but... It is very robustly built, but only has a 2:1 mechanical advantage. There is no way a person, even jumping on the long end, could apply enough force to justify the robustness. I'll guess this is a tool used by a rigger, or possibly a stone worker/setter. Probably used in confined spaces. Another lever or jack may be used to apply force to the long end.
Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Handmade for purpose, it would appear. It's not been abused enough for stone work unless it was only used one time in its life. I don't think the size looks at all out of place for a handmade piece--but a 200-lb guy's foot on the back end would put a pretty decent lift on the other...

The thickness of the working end means it had to have plenty of clearance under whatever was being lifted. The thickness of the fulcrum and the flat end means it wouldn't have worked for doors although that was my first thinking, too, unless there was a heckuva gap under one.

A built-for-specific-job tool methinks, but I've no clue precisely what...

Reply to
dpb

2397: How about a chock? The 16" handle means the cart guy doesn't have to stoop as far to jam the point under the wheel, and the small part has a "sole" of a material to keep it from sliding on a particular surface.
Reply to
J Burns

OK, I'm diving in-

2395 - I'm going to say you entrap some material between the gears and pull it through to apply a crimp or ruffle.

2397 - for temporary lifting for leveling I'd say. Pianos? Doors?

2398 - 3 counter-weighted pivoting arms, but what happens when you press down on the big paddle? I think the fact the pivot for the paddle is covered in something soft(ish) means the arms would clunk against them. I'm going with some kind of a ganged balance.

2399 - Stand for bottomless champagne flutes

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

You've inspired me! The four inner holes in the lower plate look to be an inch or less in diameter. I think it was for up to a dozen walking sticks: eight below and four above.

Reply to
J Burns

2397. I think it's primary purpose is to move/adjust a heavy object sideways. The pivoting shoe indicates this to me. But move what?? Art
Reply to
Artemus

Kind of hard to guess the purpose of this one so I'll give a hint, it was used on trains.

Reply to
Rob H.

It could be a tool to move ore cars in a mine.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

I've searched for both umbrella holders and cane holders but had no luck for either, most umbrella stands have a some type of basin for catching water drops, and most holders for both items are usually lower to the floor. Maybe it is for canes but I sure couldn't find another one like it.

Reply to
Rob H.

Looks small to be an inching bar.

Reply to
Steve W.

2395 looks like knurling wheels used in the (glass) mould making industry on CNC machines. Why a pair are set so closely together is anyone's guess. Maybe to hand knurl thin plate for a decorative edge?

John

Reply to
John

John fired this volley in news:qdZuq.114952$_16.21288 @news.usenetserver.com:

I think it is for "necking" metal ducting/stove-pipe sheets, prior to rolling.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yea, that sounds reasonable. I was thinking about something like a metal cookie plate that would be set out during holidays but I like your idea better.

Jihn

Reply to
John