What is it? Set 512

This week's set has been posted:

Larger images:

I might not have access to a computer for the next few days.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
2983 No idea, but the combination of a robust head with flimsy, replaceable points confuses and intrigues me.

2984 A garden edger. Offset for use near a wall. A low wall or the user will scrape his knuckles.

2985 Indicator tabs from a cash register.

2988 Power transmission pulley for a flat belt shaft power distribution system.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso
2987 Looks like the end pice of a cutter knife
Reply to
Walter Kraft

Rob H.:

Well, 2985 is easy: pop-up displays from a cash register, as were common before rotating digit wheels came into use.

Reply to
Mark Brader
2983: Golf shoe tool? 2984: Shingles remover? 2985: Numbers from a old register? 2986: 2987: end cap for a disposable knife, box cutter, carpet cutter 2988:

Mike > This week's set has been posted:

Reply to
mungedaddress

2986 Looks like it would be good for shelling oysters.
Reply to
G. Ross

2984 is a shingle removing shovel

2987 is the "ON" setting button for a light timer (the kind you plug into a wall and plug a lamp into)

Rich

Reply to
Rich Hare

2984

Roofing fork a very early one

2985

Number tags from a cash register

2981

Tab from a light timer

Reply to
Markem

I think 2983 is some sort of bookbinder's awl. The points are too far apart for leather stitching, but seems about right for books.

2988 is a flat belt pulley

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

2987: I'm pretty sure Rick is correct.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

2984 is a Hay Knife. Used in an old hay mow for cutting/separating loose hay.
Reply to
Leon Fisk

The "modern" version is also used in the fire service. They dig through roots/tangle better than a common round point when digging a fire break. We also have hoes built on the same concept. Work great as long as the operator holds up.

Reply to
Steve W.

2984: I think it might be a SOD spade, as opposed to a hay knife. Maybe... same basic function. 2985: The pop-up number tags from an old mechanical cash register.

2986: I'm not sure what it is, but it's apparently for prying on something with a thin section, and small separation (initially) between it and the working surface. Flat edge gets forced in under, a little prying, then turn the tool and use the fulcrum to pull it out further. Maybe a staple puller, for upholstery work.

2987: I know this thing! It's a push-latching sommat... but can't remember what for!

2988: a crowned pulley for flat belts, probably for an old agricultural machine, maybe even steam-driven. Could be a line-shaft pulley, too, for a water driven shop.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

2983. Electrodes and electrode driver for a moisture meter.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

2983 probes for testing lumber's moisture 2984 Roofing shovel... old ..
Reply to
woodchucker
2983: Off the top of the head hunch here... perhaps a punch of some sort, possibly for leather work or the like.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

2988 : Line shaft pulley, Split type to allow it to be added to a shaft that was already installed.
Reply to
Steve W.

Posting from my desk top PC in the living room, as always.

2983, scriber for writing parallel lines, scratched into a surface. 2984, corn weeding shovel. Part of the lower handle is missing. 2985, used for roadside alcohol driver testing. 2986, end of a yellow tape measure tape. The other item could be any thing. 2987, I'll admit, you got me. 2988, Part of either a grape press,or cheese press.

. Christ> >> This week's set has been posted:

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Here is a similar "knife" that had a patent:

Leon Fisk

O.K. Well, when you can. :-)

Posting from Rec.crafts.metalworking as always. Where are you all posting from, since this appears on three newsgroups.

2983) Hmm ... if it were smaller and had four pins in line, and had wires connected to each pin, I would know what it is for.

As it is -- I think that it is intended to hold some fairly soft (like meat or potatos) sample for some kind of testing.

Obviously, the points are replaceable, and can be adjusted so both make contact at the same time with a flat surface.

2984) Maybe for digging some plants out by the roots. I don't know. 2985) Either the "cents" part of an old (pre electronic) cash register, or flags used to price produce in bins.

I find it hard to imagine that a cash register would be designed to require 100 flags like this. It should have separate flags for the tens of cents and the units of cents. But I guess that one could have been made like this at one time.

Aha! Perhaps setting price flags in gasoline pumps -- again, pre-electronics.

Too small to be the price set on signs visible from the street.

2986) Does that blade pivot in the vertical part, or is it fixed for pounding on something? The notch sort of looks like a wire stripper, but not quite right, depending on what the other side looks like.

If the blade pivots, it is a lever to adjust the height of something.

2987) I guess that this is one of those common things which I don't normally handle. :-) 2988) Pulley for leather belt drive. Given the size, I think that it might go between a steam tractor as a power source and a large circular saw as in a sawmill.

The crowning is to keep the belt centered. It tends to run to the highest part of the crown.

And one this size is a bit too heavy to do from cast iron as many of them were.

Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols