What is it? Set 524

I need some help with number 3059 in this week's set:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
3055 Gotta answer quick... Almost everyone will recognize this. It is a telephone magneto/generator. Originally used to generate ringing current in crank phones. Later used as a prank gadget to shock people.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso
3060 Apple peeler, corer, sectioner.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Rob H. fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

3055 Yup... we called 'em "worm jumpers", too. Just an old telephone ringer magneto. 3056 Knife (and presumably chisel) sharpener jig for a bench grinder. Blade clamps in the flap, setscrews control depth of cut, flap slides along the rails. 3057 looks like an expanding collet for a small pin vise or a mechanical pencil. 3058 ice chipper/shave?

3059 GOTTA be for hanging a carcass of some sort. They go in a cavity, they spring out, they LOCK, and they hang and swivel. Gotta be for a bird... gotta find it!

3060 Yep... appler.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

3057 is a collet from either a Dremel or a Foredom tool . 3058 looks like a tool to clean paint brushes and rollers . And 3059 looks like it might be used for pulling sleeve bearings out of holes .
Reply to
Snag

3059 Is an internal thread chaser. If you've got an internal thread that has chips or dirt in it, you would use it to clean those threads out with this device prior to screwing something in. You can see the leaf springs which expand the points outward.

My dad had one for use on his lathe or mill, as I recall.

Rich

Reply to
Rich Hare

3058. Paint brush and paint roller scraper.
Reply to
Leon

Rich Hare fired this volley in news:l8ur00$p8f$1 @dont-email.me:

I think it could be pressed into that service, but it has no resemblance to any chasers I've ever seen. The points aren't 'points', there is no handle (it's designed to hang and swivel), and the lock would serve no purpose in that application.

Rob, I believe that is an adjustable gambrel for hanging birds for smoking.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" fired this volley in news:XnsA29B6961C956Dlloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70:

shoot... I meant to say, they're not wedge-shaped points, nor at a vee- thread angle, and they aren't even exactly opposite each other.

OF COURSE, they're "points".

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

3058 I think this tool might be used for forming in-situ mouldings (cement/plaster etc) where the use of timber is not practicable ie. curved surfaces. I have seen something very similar in use. Nick.
Reply to
Nick

Correct

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, this one was patented in 1877

Reply to
Rob H.

This answer is correct.

Yep, for a mechanical pencil

Nope

Could be, I haven't been able to prove any of the guesses for this device.

Reply to
Rob H.

That one looks like it wouldn't be that easy to use. Looks like you turn the crank to peel but then have to push the apple through the coring/sectioning section. Bet that gets old real quick with the lack of leverage.

Reply to
Steve W.

Collet is correct but it's from a Koh-I-Noor pencil

Nope, this one is a kitchen tool

Another possible answer for this one

Reply to
Rob H.

I couldn't find a similar one like it on the web but I'll add it to my list of suggestions for this tool.

Reply to
Rob H.

I'm starting to think this tool was hand forged, if so it might remain a mystery, but I'll pass all of the guesses on to the owner of it.

Reply to
Rob H.

Nope, it wasn't for mouldings.

Reply to
Rob H.

I used one with two wires in the creek water to catch crawdads for fish bait.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

As already mentioned, #3056 is a holder for sharpening tools, usually flat tools like wood chisels. I have had one on a grinder for years. Really handy to get a square end on a chisel. Mine can tilt away from the wheel so you can grind other things.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn