What is it? Set 551

I don't know the purpose of the knurled lock nut on the vertical part but I stood there and watched someone turn the handle and the vertical part moved along the rail. I still haven't heard back from the owner about whether the other part rotates, though I don't think it did.

Reply to
Rob H.

[ ... ]
[ ... ]

There actually is -- both the groove on the upper back side of the bar leading in to the leadscrew which is inside the bar, and Rob H.'s posted observation elsewhere in this thread.

Why not? Lock it while during setup and while zeroing the dial's pointer, so you start from a known place.

Just as all of my lathes, whose carriage is intended to move along the ways, have a lock screw and wrench to use when facing instead of turning.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

You're right! I totally got this one wrong, somehow didn't remember correctly. The owner said it twists the wire and counts the revolutions. Good job on figuring it out. I asked if there was any patent or manufacturer text on it but he said there wasn't, and he just sold it for $100 so he no longer has access to it.

Reply to
Rob H.

Don't remember seeing answers for last week?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon"

THE ANSWERS ARE POSTED TO THE SITE EVERY FRIDAY EVENING WITHOUT FAIL SO WHY DO YOU KEEP BRINGING IT UP?????

Reply to
Phil Kangas

------------------------------------------------------- Sounds like a personal problem to me.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

EVERY WEEK ON FRIDAY ROB POSTS TO THE LIST WITH THE WORDS "-- ANSWERS" IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND I LOOK FOR THAT. HAS NOT DONE THAT LAST COUPLE WEEKS, AND I'M STILL LOOKING.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

He no longer does that, so keep on looking in vain.

Reply to
Markem

He's been told many times by many people . I think he does it for the attention he gets . He useta have some comedic value , but his attention-seeking stupidity has outweighed that .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

That must be a good gig. Selling old tools for a hundred bucks when nobody knows what it is. I suppose you could just make something up! I can see it now.

Customer: What is this tool?

Dealer: Ah, that is a priceless antique tool.

Customer: What does it do?

Dealer: That is the mystery! Nobody is certain. But we do know it is a priceless antique worth thousand of dollars.

Customer: No way, I will give you a hundred bucks for it.

Dealer" Sold!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Keep looking an SHUT UP.

Rob no longer creates a new post for the answers he simply adds a link inline with his post for the answers.

Easier, faster and 99.9999% of folks understand.

Guess you just like being an ass. Nothing like being a "good LDS member"....

Reply to
Steve W.

His problem is that he's too far from the Central Hive Collective Mind and he's got poor reception . It's a bitch being without guidance .

Church member to his bishop : "Brother John , I think I might have gone too far this time , I slept with my wife's sister." Bro John the bishop: "Well , Bro Wallie , we have 2 options open to us . We can excommunicate you ... Or , if The Lord leads you to make a large cash donation to the church I can make you one of my counselers ..."

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Stormin, Since you missed them here are the answers to last week's set:

3217 Gear puller 3218 Fence repair tool 3219 Holds copper tubing when soldering 3220 Portable trivet for coffee cups 3221 Oil filter wrench 3222 used to count twists in yarn when spinning
Reply to
Spoiler (spoiler_alert