What is the weight of a Lincoln SA200

Here's a fine specimen of SA-200 welder.

My question is how much does it weigh.

Thanks guys.

Ignoramus29973

The D model weighs in at 1311 pounds. This a diesel engine model. The earlier models were gasoline and may have a different weight, but probably not too much weight difference.

A little fix up here and there, and that one in your picture should be fine. Parts are widely available. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

Thanks. I am slightly familiar with Continental F-163 engines. They are very simple. I would expect that my SA-200 weighs around 1,150 lbs or so, since it is not a diesel. The reason why that F-162 engine is so indestructible, though, is that it is built like a diesel.

Ignoramus29973

Reply to
RoyJ

Something close to 500 pounds, I think.

-bill

Reply to
Bill Martin

Lincoln guesses closer to 1311 lbs.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Hey, my 1200 to 1500 was right on!

The 1311 pounds is for the unit with a Kubota engine. I think the diesel is a bit heavier than the Continental in Iggy's unit.

Reply to
RoyJ

(...)

Tips the scales at 403 to 414 lbs. Figure the gas version is within say 100 lbs of that? I dunno.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I picked it up, I think that it is 1150, just by gut feel.

It also came with a heavy duty cart.

Ignoramus24155

The weight is not stated in the downloaded Lincoln manual I got. The figure of 1100+# sticks in my mind, because here in Utah, a trailer that weighs less than 700# does not need to be licensed. The DMV person asked me how much it weighed, and I asked all together, or just the trailer. She said just the trailer. I recall having seen the actual figure, and a SA200 can vary with the different generators they put on them. She said she didn't think the trailer went over 700#, and it was up to me if I wanted to license it or not. Definitely not the exact answer, but I'd guess 1150# with gas, and go from there for leads, gas bottles, trailer, work table, spare, etc, etc, etc.

Actually used mine yesterday. Fired up after about .75 seconds of starter motor. Wonder what's up with that. It usually fires faster than that.

And oh yeah. I just GOTTA put a muffler on it one of these days. It is obnoxiously loud with that straight pipe and rain flap!

But, all in all, it was a decent deal for $300. And then there were the tanks, Victor cutting set, 6 gas welding tips, rosebud, strikers, hoses, leads, rods, spare tire, and assorted tools.

HTH

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Steve B

Thanks. Mine was $300 and it came WITHOUT tanks and leads.

Ignoramus24155

It cranks. However, the fuel from the tank, first goes through a dark glass bowl, then through some electronic box, then through a transparent filter. That filter seems to not be getting any fuel. I did add gasoline to the tank.

Reply to
Ignoramus24155

Is the electronic box an electric fuel pump? That'd be my first suspect.

Or the line is simply clogged.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I have written an e mail to Bill's Welder Repair, they specialize in restoring and rehabbing SA 200's and the likes. I'll post if I get a response.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Steve B

I saw the gas pump - good idea - it is turned off because lack of oil or something else ?

Something is keeping it off. Might be some logic function in it.

Mart> >> Here's a fine specimen of SA-200 welder.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

What follows is an e mail back from Kaye at Bill's Welder Repair Shop,

1350 is the weight of a SA200, 1300 dry. Since they were built with higher grade metal and such back in the day, but were shorter equals the same as the longer lessor built machines of the 70's and 80's.

Kaye

They have everything you need for a SA 200, including a spa treatement where you take it in looking like crud, and get it back looking like those on the front page. If I had the money, I'd do it, just because.

Keep their url in favorites, as he took the time to just answer a question for a SA200 owner and he didn't make a dime on it. From what I saw when I was going to have mine worked on, they're about the best thing going.

Warning, back up from your keyboard so you don't get any slobber in the keys.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Steve B

Thank you Steve.

These guys look very professional. I want to do some diagnosing of this welder on the weekend. My feeling is that it is fine and I do not know how to operate the fuel pump or whatever is the shiny box on the fuel line.

I have to also figure out how to get it off my truck.

Ignoramus31983

A little update. I was able to unload this SA-200 from my truck, which was not exactly trivial. It now sits on a cart and I can move it around, though it is not that easy.

Anyhow, I see several issues.

1) For one reason or another, fuel is not coming out of the fuel tank and down through the bowl. The bown is held by a springy support, which I removed, and the bowl dows not seem to want to come off.

2) I took off an electric fuel valve or pump near the bowl and I will look at it carefully tomorrow.

3) The battery is dead.

4) The fuel line is rotted, fell apatr when I pulled it. I took a part of it and, through it, poured some gasoline into the carb.

5) With fuel added directly to the carb, the welder does start, at least for a couple of seconds. I did not want to annoy my neighbors at midnight, so I shut it off.

I will mess with it somewhat more tomorrow. Probbaly a trip to Napa is in order.

Ignoramus31983

Resembles the second item down?

S-5350 Lincoln Style Fuel Bowl Assembly

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

This is EXACTLY what it is!

And now that I look at it, I think that perhaps I did not add enough gas to the tank, and it simply does not get into the bowl?

How do you take the glass part off?

Ignoramus31983