What's this thing weigh? Given 32 lathe

We have a Given 32 lathe converted to a hydraulic spinning machine, it has about a 12' bed and a massive head stock. Got any idea how much this beast weighs? We're moving to Phoenix and have to pick this bad boy up and put it on a truck. Since it's about twice the size of our

5000# forker I think we might need something a skosh bigger.

JohnF

Reply to
JohnF

First of all it's spelled "skoach" :-)

A lathe with a 12' bed I'd "eyeball guestimate" at 8,000 pounds. You can rent a hook scale and use it with your forklift to pick up one end and then the other and then do a little math to get a more precise estimate.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Nope, I looked it up and it's "skosh" according to the site I found it. I thought it would be "scosch" my-own-self.

The 20,000lb lift they had here to put the machine in with about blew a hemorrhoid picking it up, this thing is almost solid casting.

JohnF

Reply to
JohnF

Since it's a slang transliteration from Japanese, you can pretty much take your pick on spelling. However the original versions were 'skoshi' (the Japanese word, meaning -- duh! -- small) and then skosh.

--R(master of the irrelevant)C

"You Know Things Are Weird When Arnold Schwartznegger Is Governor of California, Ronald Reagan Is One Of Our Most Beloved Ex-Presidents, And John Kerry Is Running For President On His Vietnam War Record"

Reply to
rcook5

Oohie. Etymology! Cool! I'm going to submit that one to

which is a site badly needed for a long long time.

Reason I spelled it "skoach" (you're right, of course, you *can* take your pick) is that there is a longtime Seattle Times columnist who uses that word a lot and spells it that way. It's obviously a phonetic spelling to rhyme with "coach" which makes a lot of sense.

Thanks a lot for pass> >

Reply to
Grant Erwin

It's really "skosche."

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I hate to muddy the waters but this thread, or at least the part about the spelling of skosh got me wondering so I looked it up and according to both Merriam Webster online and Dictionary.com the origin is the Japanese word sukoshi instead of skoshi as someone else stated.

I actually know very little about the origin of words other than a couple I may have made up myself when I hit my thumb with a hammer or something but I trust Merriam Webster. :-)

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

That's the exact transliteration (hiragana would be: su-ko-shi, but it's written using the kanji for the stem and 'shi'), but the pronunciation is closer to 'skoshi'. Japanese pronunciation isn't exactly regular (although it's a lot more regular than English) and Japanese have a tendency to swallow parts of words.

We now return you to the metalworking discussion currently in progress.

--RC

"You Know Things Are Weird When Arnold Schwartznegger Is Governor of California, Ronald Reagan Is One Of Our Most Beloved Ex-Presidents, And John Kerry Is Running For President On His Vietnam War Record"

Reply to
rcook5

Nope it's really not. A slang transliteration may have no one right spelling, but some spellings are more, ah, variant than others. Offhand I can't think of any way to express that combination of letters in hiragana.

--RC