What would YOU do with a spare 66 hp IC engine?

Hey guys, I've swapped a number of Honda engines in my lifetime and usually have at least one perfectly functioning SOHC engine in the shop I try to get rid of. (Usually the swapping involves replacing the 1.5L and 1.6L SOHC engines with a 1.8L DOHC.)

For some reason the idea always escaped me, but while looking at the greasy 66 hp engine currently on my shop floor (pulled from Honda's fuel-miser CRX "HF" model) I was wondering if it could be put to good use. I mean heck... it's a complete engine, trans, starter, radiator, ECM, wire harnes... the works. Minimal effort required to get it running on a stand.

I was thinking along the lines of a 30 kw genset for the house. (Actually thought about this for the truck first, but why in the heck would I need that kind of power on the road?!) A hydraulic-powered something-or-other? A starter for a jet?!

The whole thing's not very heavy; 120 lbs at most as the engine block, head and trans are all aluminum.

Suggestions and ideas appreciated... get creative. :-)

Reply to
Miki Kanazawa

The genset sounds good, make it co-generation so it can supply space heat and hot water too.

If you strip the tranny can you get it light enough for an ultralight airplane?

Reply to
Nick Hull

Hey Miki,

Have you seen one converted to either propane or natural gas? For a gen-set, which may (hopefully) have a VERY long un-used cycle, they may be more appropriate fuels. Or best yet, flip-of-the-switch "convertible" from gasoline to propane like my car was.

Now this next comment has to be taken in light of the fact that this morning, for the first time in MONTHS, I can see a little teeny-tiny bit of GRASS in my back yard (Spring is coming!!!!). One of my winter projects was to get the worn out engine running in my baffed out Roper, but I couldn't even get it out of the garden shed due to the snow. So, my question/suggestion is...Boy, that engine would make one heck of a lawn-tractor prime- mover, wouldn't it!?!?!

Take care.

Brian Laws>Hey guys, I've swapped a number of Honda engines in my lifetime and

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Actually, it would probably do better as a portable air compressor. Find a Quincy or IR rotary screw or mullti-cylinder compressor, rig up as a constant-run unloader with a way to idle down, stick it on a trailer frame with an air receiver, and make a few body panels to enclose the whole thing so it's quiet.

And be sure to paint it Honda Red and put the car emblems on the side. ;-) Bonus points for using some of the sheetmetal from the CRX body as part of the housing - open the hood (facing backwards) to work on the engine, open the hatchback and there's your jackhammer and hoses....

Double bonus points for adapting the car air conditioner into a built-in refrigerated air dryer.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Back when I was a kid, the first possibility would be to find a cheap aircraft 28 volt DC generator and make a welder. I have no idea whether the generators are still available.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

You've been watching [almost] way too much Monster Garage. ;-)

Tim

-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting and Games:

Tim Williams

I'd go for the generator idea first, then make attachments for a bandsaw, water pump, winch, clothes dryer (800 RPM tumble-dry with creative exhaust routing for heat!), etc. :-)

Another thought - Ebay!

Seriously, if you often have extras, would you sell me one cheap so I can play with it? I've thought of buying one at a junkyard just to toy with, but at least this way I'd know it ran before I got it...and it'd get one out of your way plus you get a few bucks beer money.

Wonder if I could make a big go-cart out of one...?

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

Reply to
Mike Patterson

snip

But the cheapest way to get that much sheetmetal would be to go to the boneyard and buy a whole car, and then he's got another engine on his hands...

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Couple years ago at the county fair, there was a small sand rail build around a Honda engine/tranny combo. Installed in the rear with steering locked solid, it functioned more or less like a VW type rig. Cute little sucker, and it seated two. Gonna build one myself some day...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Triple bonus points for adapting the air conditioner into a beer cooler.

Reply to
Nick Hull

How about a home-built aircraft?? (The Piper Cub has a 65 HP. Continental engine that weighs about 120lb.) A project like that could keep you amused for years! Pragmatist.

Reply to
pragmatist

They are still around, not particularly cheap:

I have one sitting here, kinda rough, I'll sell it cheap. Weighs

47 pounds so

Jim Stewart wrote:

Reply to
Roy J

I haven't personally, no. But I have had discussions about it with an on-line buddy of mine and it could probably be done fairly easily with a propane carburetor. And it could be bifuel easily; when you switch over to propane power, just cut the power to the gasoline injectors leaving power running to the EFI electronics so the sparkplugs are still fired. If you want to get fancy you could set the base timing so the engine runs well on propane, and use an MSD ignition retard to pull timing down so the engine also runs fine with gasoline.

Reply to
Miki Kanazawa

Is such a thing possible? :-P

Good thing about this idea, he isn't facing a 5-day Or Else deadline to get it done. No Jesse with a .50 Caliber to blow it to bits if it isn't ready.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I have a large Quincy that I thought to do this to actually. Been on the lookout for a decent running small engine(maybe a small diesel VW) for cheap.

I have it currently set up to run PTO driven from a tractor. Depending on where you are at, would you be interested? I have since found another decent sized air compressor, and this one is honestly a little big for what I need. Makes a helluva sandblaster air source though(~40cfm @ 175 psi). I have vented half of it, just so I could handle the air volume a little better.

JW

BTW - I am in SE MN.

Reply to
Jeridiah

Propane-fired genset/welder/air compressor sounds good to me. Put it on a wheeled frame with a mongo hydraulic pump and get some surplus hydraulic motors, make it 4-wheel drive(or 6 or 8 wheel). Power your shop when you go camping! Metalworking under the trees...

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

I have a big Jaeger I have been thinking of running with a PTO (the flathead F227 Continental took a crap) I would like to see pics of your PTO set up. For instance how you stepped it up from 550 RPM to 1500 or so. What are you asking for your compressor? speter@wctaDOTnet

Reply to
Steve Peterson

|> Hey guys, I've swapped a number of Honda engines in my lifetime and |> usually have at least one perfectly functioning SOHC engine in the |> shop I try to get rid of. (Usually the swapping involves replacing |> the 1.5L and 1.6L SOHC engines with a 1.8L DOHC.) |> |> For some reason the idea always escaped me, but while looking at the |> greasy 66 hp engine currently on my shop floor (pulled from Honda's |> fuel-miser CRX "HF" model) I was wondering if it could be put to good |> use. I mean heck... it's a complete engine, trans,

My HF motor is noisy, but the transmission noise covers it. So, yeah, I can think of a good use for it. I'll send you a Texas shipping adress. Swap you for a Mazda wankel drivetrain? Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Multi wheel drive using hydraulics is an excellent idea. I suggest a mini version of this vehicle:

Charles Erskine

Build a boat. A little 10 or 12 foot runabout with the engine mounted near the centre, and a shaft running from the clutch out through a stuffing box to the prop under the boat and ahead of the rudder. Would go like mad. Biggest hassle would be water-cooled exhaust manifolds (too little air circulation in a boat's engine compartment). See

and click on Tiny Mite.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Thomas