Which workbench to buy?

I want to put my small mill on a workbench that has ball bearing drawers on it. That way I can store tools under it and not have a separate toolchest off to the side.

Sears has some interesting models, but the interesting ones ($250 range) are linear slides, not ball bearing. Since some of the tools are heavy, I'd like to stick with ball bearing drawers throughout.

This needs to hold about 500 to a 1,000 pounds. Drawers for tools.

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Make it.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Reply to
RoyJ

I subscribe to the DIY sugestion

Reply to
Ioan Barladeanu

Me too. Almost all the good benches I see are home built. 90% of the commercial benches are junk. I don't recall seeing a commercial bench strong enough to stand a milling machine on (at least not recently).

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Louis Ohland wrote in news:nZq3g.42$ snipped-for-privacy@fe03.lga:

For that type of bench, you are looking at Lista, or Vidmar. Prepare for serious sticker shock...new one of these will set you back to the tune of $2000-4000.

Reply to
Anthony

FOr a big enough solid bench of the types youre looking at with the weigfht capacities youre looking at youd be into stuff bigger and better than sears

Mac / Snapon will make benched to meet your needs

Then once you see the price and the Cardiologist releases you after the heart attack I'll refer you to DIY too

100 pound rated drawer slides are available for approx $10 each froma place like lee valley

Reply to
Brent Philion

I am sure that I am not the first to make this, but I love my benches. It involves a little metal working, but well worth it. Use a pallet rack! They come in all different types of sizes.

Cut down the two uprights to the height you want. You will need to re weld the braces on the sides. You will also need to re weld the feet to best fit your needs. I moved the feet in so I wouldn't trip over them.

Take an additional brace and weld it at the top of your cut so this will make a surface for the top to attach to. Use the standard horizontals for cross members, with a pair at the top and a pair at the bottom for extra support and extra storage space. The frame is solid and can hold over 5000 pounds.

The weak link is the top. I used McMaster and got a maple top. ( page

1536-1537 ) It comes from a cutting board manufacturer. McMaster has all types, some better suited for your needs. Order the top to be larger then the frame so you have room to work without hitting the legs.

I also found that the 90 degree where the upright and horizontal meet, makes a good spot to mount a vise.

The frame only costs around $200 plus your time. The top is up to you. Let me know if you want pics.

Regards,

Jason

Reply to
deja

They come through Boeing Surplus and Ebay for $450 or so (used) like these (behind the vice):

reader

How about something like this?

Pre fab machine base...

Bob