Win-10 warning

Windows update just installed win-10 on one of my computers.

CAUTION : The new browser does not save your favorites and bookmarks.

Adfender does not work on win-10.

Anyone know if win10 can be installed on a multiboot system on a new partition?

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

"Howard Beal" on Wed, 29 Jul 2015 11:29:39 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Is this something I'm going to have to worry about - Microsoft "fixing" what I consider "not that badly broken", with an even more broken version?

pyotr filipivich

Nope. Edge works fine. It stores all your recent sites, favorites, reading lists, downloads and more all under a thing called the Hub.

Reply to
Steve W.

pyotr filipivich fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You don't get Win10 unless you _asked_ for Win10.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" on Thu, 30 Jul

2015 05:46:28 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Good.

I had to shift to win7. It works, but ... it is annoying.

Besides, the rule of thumb is to not get Microsoft products which are the even numbered releases (ie, Excel 2, Windows 4, 8, 10, ...).

pyotr filipivich

Their worst windows and DOS versions were the ODD numbered ones.

Reply to
clare

MS-DOS 4 was a total lemon. DOS 6 had so many innovations that it was a total PITA. DOS 5 was, within the intrinsic limitations of DOS, a workhorse. I still have a Linux box that I can boot into DOS 5 for a game and another program that I like.

ObMetal: Did some clever things with Improces editing photos of forged metalwork to adjust color tone and, in one instance, to actually colorize a B&W photo to make the copper part look realisticaly like the copper that it was. With DOS 5.

Reply to
Mike Spencer

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca on Thu, 30 Jul 2015 16:43:08 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I thought Windows 3 was good, as was DOS 3.

pyotr filipivich

Mike Spencer on 31 Jul 2015 01:44:52

Yep. There are still things which the command line alone makes "simpler" to do. E.G., Robocopy.exe makes doing incremental backups easier (once you've mastered the toggles and write a batch file.) I mean, can Windows copy only newer files to a target location, without requiring you to verify each and every one? If it can, the method is a deeply concealed secret.

pyotr filipivich

I assume you're talking about Internet Explorer? If you have Firefox there's a way to share favorites and links between all machines on a network..

Reply to
SteamboatEd Haas

Metal is in the printer and machine in machine.

If you have 8.1 on a machine 10 makes it look like it should have in the first place. The ignorance of MS in the first out of 8 was even pointed out by Gates himself. I have a wide screen on one machine and the large array of big graphics after they use half of the screen up with their apps - went another page wide. Now it is back into a reasonable menu. No Win screen. Just like 7 with a nicer menu.

Bit painful to install printers - wireless pc and wireless printer - had to work on both after I forced the driver set onto the computer.

Their printer set is light when installing from their own cabs. Still missing a driver set. But time will tell.

I'd say - make the partitions large enough and give it a go. It will install on the working one upon download. You have ZERO control on where it goes. No cursor, no menu. Nice clock like and list control indicators.

It went on a i7 cpu with big fast disk and memory - laptop - in an hour and a half. Once it started it kept you informed and asked to be left alone. It was the best upgrade I have seen of all windows since DOS.

I even have the previous 8.1 background picture I used on the user screen.

The browser seems to be fast and a browser. I'll use Firefox for what I need and their for fast work when needed. I didn't have email functional on the laptop and it seems to be a job to get that going. Not sure what that tool will allow for domain site. e.g. gmail or only MS mail.

Mart> >> Windows update just installed win-10 on one of my computers.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Or, the ones released on a Tuesday!

Reply to