Wiring for welder

I am busily moving into my new shop and need to do some serious wiring upgrades.

I've thought about, sometime in the future, adding an AC/DC stick welder (probably the ubiquitous Lincoln 225A "tombstone") and would like to plan for it. The problem is that the data sheet on the Lincoln website only tells you the power requirement is 220v, 60 Hz, single phase. Nary a word about the current requirement.

Anybody own one who knows off hand what the supply current is?

Thanks.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

joelblatt

Assuming max voltage is around 40 or volts at the stinger, I'd say 50 amps will do it.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

As the others have said, or referenced, the welder will require 50A *at its maximum output* (225A). I don't think in 20 years that I have ever run mine at more than 125A. So if I were adding an outlet in the garage, say, I would run a 30A circuit just because I could use 10 ga wire iso 6(?) ga. Cheaper and much easier to handle.

YMMV, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Is this the one?

You can see the input current rating down near the bottom of the first page, for different models.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Some people swear by this machine and some at it. I'm one of the latter. I've used these lincolns where trhe multiple contact switch did not make a good connection and had to be clicked back and forth several times to get maximum output for that range. My preference is the 225A Miller. The output is regulated by moving the core in or out of the transformer.Not only does this give stepless output control but provides a higher open circuit voltage for easier weld starting.

Engineman

Reply to
engineman1

Reply to