Worth learning to weld?

I only had mild food poisoning and it was enough. Nothing like having it come out both ends at the same time. Karl

Reply to
everyman

BTDTGTTS, but without the ambulance ride. Drove myself in, and got promptly cussed up and down by the ER staff. On my birthday, no less. --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

Enjoyable post!

Welding can be self-taught. I am entirely self-taught (30 years and still learning), can do some pretty decent welding on a good day -- and I haven't yet blown myself up, burned down the house or gone blind... (Deaf, yes; blind, not yet...)

Welding something like a table or the frame the OP describes is tough with O/A. It isn't that the welding itself is difficult, but the amount of metal that gets red hot (hence plastic) is so large you get a lot of distortion as things cool. Arc (stick) and MIG are much better about that because they are much faster, resulting in a much smaller plastic region.

I use O/A quite a bit for silver-brazing and for heating to bend steel, but the only welding I now do with gas is thin aluminum. The rest I do with TIG or MIG depending on the job. On a table or frame, I would certainly use MIG. If I didn't have MIG I'd use stick. My preference for MIG is mostly just freedom from smoke and fumes when welding indoors during a MN winter. I've stick-welded plenty of tables, carts and frames out of 1/8" angleiron. The "serious" MIG (220 volt 210 amp) was a relatively recent addition less than 2 years ago. I didn't really "need" it, but I'm sure glad to have it.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Fortunately the tooth felt better if I kept it cold. Hiking was OK as long as I kept sucking cold air over it, but once I got back to the car I had to keep my cheek packed with ice. A French doctor gave me a prescription for Dilaudid(!) which did nothing, so I kept on with the ice for the ride home. When the abscess finally popped I'll bet I got a pretty good idea of what your kidney stone was like, but only for perhaps 15 minutes, then the pain was gone.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I had a tooth go bad right before a day to the ski slopes. I had to keep my mouth shut, and hot chocolate was definitely not a remedy.

When I got to the dentist, and his drill hit the abscess, wooooooey! Is it me that stinks like that?

Anyway, my first root canal.

It's funny how small teeth are and how much they can hurt. But then, my kidney stone was smaller than a tooth.

Go figger.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

A skilled learned and never used is more valuable than a skill needed and not have,the more skills you have the better off you will be and more valuable you become to society. hopes that helps

Reply to
badaztek

hummm...last count..in the .22 section of the cabinets..I had 11.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

"Gunner Asch" wrote

You got me beat. I think I have 5.

I was at my cabin a few weeks ago. There is a chipmunk that has taken up residency in the siding. I put some mothballs and pepper spray in his hole hoping that he would just go away.

I went to the local Ace Hardware where they have a HUGE sporting goods section. I asked the man for a box of BB caps. He just looked at me and said, "Wutz dat?"

Can't find any BB caps. Do they still make them for .22s? Or do I just have to use a short?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Ask for CB', not BB's.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I did a long description of what they were, and they said they didn't have any, and acted like they had never heard of them. (they were young)

But, I WILL ask at some other shops for "CB" caps. BTW, do you know what the CB stands for?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Diluadid is like ten times the strength of Morphine.

Greg

Reply to
ConcreteArtist

Relative dosages are in that range, but the total analgesic effects are about the same for *typical* dosages of morphine and Diluadid (hydromorphone). A multi-study analysis conducted a few years ago concluded "Overall, hydromorphone appears to be a potent analgesic. The limited number of studies available suggest that there is little difference between morphine and hydromorphone in terms of analgesic efficacy, adverse effect profile and patient preference."

(So, how the heck would I know that? Because I edited a dossier on another opioid earlier this year. More trivial junk cluttering my brain...)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

You were correct to ask for BB caps. Bulleted breech, commonly used in arcade shooting galleries.

CB caps (conical ball cap) would also be a varmint round for indoor shooting ranges.

You should also be able to buy shot shells in .22 rimfire.

What was that smell at the shooting gallery when I was little? Gun powder, lead, soot? Hadn't remembered that smell for a long time. Kinda smelled like my buddy's electric train.

DanG

I just want some weak low velocity projectile that will cleanly kill a chipmunk without flying off for a mile to God knows where. And I don't want to blow a new hole in my cabin. I can use a short, but even that will punch a hole.

I really like my .38 CCI shot shells that I carry in snake country. Pretty potent. Nice shot pattern at less than ten feet.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

They still make em, and CB caps, which is what Id use. But you can only find them at well equipped gun shops, or on the internet. Ammo is quite legal to puchase and have shipped. Well..in most localities. The NE ghetto area may be differnt. I understand in Mass, hollow points are illegal.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Must have been some really potent dope in India.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

sigh...indeed.

Crispy critters

Gunner

Gunner Asch

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 23:51:57 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Steve B" quickly quoth:

I used to get birdshot in a crimped .22 LR case. It worked well for gophers and such without leaving too much of a mess (except in the barrel, but that gets cleaning every time, anyway.) I'm positive they wouldn't penetrate 1/2" ply from any range, but they might penetrate a piece of drywall and would quite possibly tear up a piece of soft cedar siding pretty well.

.38? Izzat for a pistola? Cool.

------------------------------------------------------ No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat. ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development ---------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Memories are processed by the limbic system in the brain. It's in close proximity to the olifactory regions.

I personally cannot smell latex house paint without being instantly transported back to my first apartment my wife and I moved into, about 30 years ago. And I'm 19 again.

:^)

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Thats why I have a Sheridan Blue Streak in .20 hanging next to the back door in the "repell boarders" rack.

Gunner

Gunner Asch