WTB Wards Powermatic Lathe

This is a 11" or larger cabinet lathe, bright metallic green with a white racing strip. Sold by Montgomery Wards until around 1980. Made by Logan/Houdaille I am looking to buy one, in very good to mint condition. Recently bought a Powermatic mill, and it needs a mate.

I'm in N Texas Rex B

Reply to
RBnDFW

Have you ever used the Craig's list search program to look for something? It is:

I just looked for "powermatic lathe" and found many listings for powermatic, including one for a metalworking lathe, Maybe this will help with your search.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

I did that last night, saw the one in Maine. I emailed the seller to see if he wanted to ship. Price was right, I could pay some shipping at that price. But I doubt they will ship.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Ok, good luck in your search! Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

ThankyouThankyouThankyou!!!

Oh thats very very nice!!

Bookmarked and set up as a desktop shortcut!!

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate The more you present a leftist with factual evidence that is counter to his preconceived world view and the more difficult it becomes for him to refute it without losing face the chance of him calling you a racist, bigot, homophobe approaches infinity.

This is despite the thread you are in having not mentioned race or sexual preference in any way that is relevant to the subject." Grey Ghost

Reply to
Gunner Asch

All Wards POWR-KRAFT lathes were a dark gray - originally . I don't know when Wards quit selling them , but mine (model 94TLC 2136) dates from early

1952 . The best thing you can do at this point is sign up on the Logan Lathe email list on yahoo groups . Scott Logan is the moderator , and Logan Actuator supports these old machines very well . There is also a database of all the machines Logan (and later powermatic , IIRC) made and when they were produced . Keep an eye on eBay , there's almost always a Logan lathe or two available .
Reply to
Snag

Here's one that you might want to check out

Snag

Yessir, been on that list since I bought my 9: Logan years ago. I just now sold it.

Reply to
RBnDFW

thanks for the link. I wonder why that did not turn up when I searched ebay this morning? That's the one, but it looks a bit rough. If I'm going to drive to Ohio, it needs to be a mint machine.

Reply to
RBnDFW

I feel your pain man . I've had mine for several years now . Use it mostly for motorcycle parts and it's been a joy to use . Be kinda like your best hound dyin' to sell it now .

Reply to
Snag

Well, I had just bought a big (to me) Millrite mill and put it into an already crowded shop. I realized that I used my Enco 10x24 most of the time, and the Logan hardly at all. It was between the minilathe and the Enco, and frankly the little Logan was much less rigid than the Enco. It did not like hard cuts. The last thing I did was part off a 2" aluminum rod. When it threw the motor pulley off I finally gave up and took it over to the Enco to finish. And I was also selling my mill drill - same thing, it was the rarely used "between" machine now. I do the small work on the minimill, and now I have the big Millrite. So both Logan and Mill-drill are gone, and I have the cash to get a bigger lathe. If I find a Logan Powermatic like I want, I'll sell the Enco and be done for a while. And by the way, I've decided I'll also need a Powermatic 1200 drill press. Green of course.

Reply to
RBnDFW

When Rex says over crowded shop: picture a native hacking his way through the jungle with a machete. Don't bump your head on the race car hanging from the ceiling.

Reply to
aasberry

LOL Andy, that race car has been restored and is in another location now. There's just a scooter hanging now. And I sold that Logan lathe and also the mill-drill, but then I added the big Millrite mill. Still working on getting rid of more objects. Still, it looks a lot better than it did back then.

Reply to
RBnDFW

I think the lathe you want just had it's picture posted over on the Logan list . Not sure why the guy posted a question about it's worth , but this one appears to be just what you're looking for .

Snag

Montgomery Wards did NOT sell the Powermatic line of lathes. They sold the Logan lathe (private labeled with the Ward Powr-Kraft badge), and almost exclusively, the 10".

See:

Powermatic stopped production of the lathe on 28 June 1985.

I would tend to stay away from the Powermatic 11" as it had an odd variable speed drive that was not used on any Logan; it was adapted from the Powermatic drill press line.

Besides, why not just get a Logan 12" (14" would be even better) and if you really like that paint scheme (blech!), paint it yourself.

Reply to
Scott S. Logan

Blech? My bright-metallic-green-with-white-racing-stripe Powermatic bandsaw is lovely.

paint it yourself.

I may paint my motorcycle in the beautiful Powermatic scheme.

Reply to
Beryl