3 phase converter

Having scrapped an old emimec auto lathe, but kept the main power box contents, I was wondering if any of the stuff like transformers etc would go towards making a single to three phase converter thus allowing some equipment to be used at home.

I am not an electrician, so that's the first safety point !!!

But can follow a diagram Bob

Reply to
Emimec

You need a 240 to 415 transformer, a bank of 460v AC rated capacitors, a voltage sensitive relay and a contactor

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thanks Andrew I probably have the opposite then in the power cabinet, the transformer from my thing, without looking, is more likely to step power down I would think, considering the machine was 3 phase to start with.

Oh well, save my pennies for a proper one !!

Bob

Reply to
Emimec

Transformers are two way devices Bob. A 415v input 230v output can equally well be used as 230v input and 415v output!

However your transformer is probably 3 phase (usually 3 bobbins of windings sitting next to each other on separate legs of the core) whereas (perhaps surprisingly) for a three phase converter you need a single phase transformer :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Hmmmm, maybe I will take a closer look at what the transformer is that I have and come back to the group over the weekend. Thanks Bob

Reply to
Emimec