3 phase supply

I live in the middle of nowhere and our leccy comes on a telegraph pole from Npower. It dives underground in the field next door ( after a pole with a huge transformer on it , and surfaces in the cellar. The supply is very 'dirty' ( ? many surges).

Will I be able to get 3 phase supply to the house ? , how much will it cost ? , should I forget it and get an inverter ?. Many thanks chaps. Nick

Reply to
nickphill

Is there three phase on the pole? If so it's feasable, if not it's VERY spendy

I've just been 'guesstimated' £1100 by EDF to give me a three phase

100 amp supply for the new place that I'm (hopefully) buying in East-Sussex. The 415v three phase overhead line runs across the property already, with a single phase only connected by a cable that runs down the pole, under the lawn and into a meter box on the outside of the house. The new supply would be to a barn / workshop away from the house and assumes that the underground cable would be less than 42 metres. They propose to 'mole' the cable from the pole to the barn.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I will nip down the field tomorw with my bins. Have spent a fruitless half hour on the Npower website . Thanks Nick

Reply to
nickphill

Hmm. I got quoted £1400 three years ago to run 20m from under the pavement outside the house into the house by Central Networks. That's with me liable for all of the trenching and conduit up to the property line and them doing the last half metre. It was just a bit too much at the time. I put in a 16mm^2

4 core SWA cable from the house to the shed for if I feel rich later.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

If you have 3 wires on a pole with a transformer attached, then it is probably

11kV on the wires, so don't go looking with a voltmeter!

They wouldn't normally supply 415/440V 3-phase on an overhead transmission basis unless you were the last consumer on the line, and that kind of supply has the cables one above the other, including neutral (4 wires) while 11kV has 3 wires horizontally spaced.

You should check the terminals by eye and see how many the transformer has on the secondary side, it is 'just' possible that you may have a 3-phase transformer with only one winding in use, in which case it should be fairly cheaply converted to 3-phase by changing the cable and meter.

If it is single-phase then it is likely to be fairly expensive but still do-able.

Peter

Peter

Peter A Forbes

telegraph

fruitless

transmission basis

supply has the

transformer has on

3-phase

On the one on my (hopefully) new place, the 11KV line comes overhead into the water pumping station next door, and is transformed down to

415v 'up a pole' there, crosses the boundry as 4 wires (presumably 3P&N), two of which are used for the domestic supply. In the o/p's case if he knows he has overhead to the pole, all he really needs to do is count the wires on the pole - if there are only two he's out of luck !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I will take some pics and post tomorrow. Thanks guys.

Reply to
nickphill

Wow! that's very cheap. My parents place has 3ph running down the road within 50 yds and SEEBoard wanted £3k5 to connect it and that was probably 15 years ago. They didn't go for it I might add......

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Have been to have a look . The transformer says it is 11Kv , phase =3D

1 ., see
seems a bit busy around the top of the pole . I think there is a big fat cable (brown coated one ) which bypasses the transformer going straight into the ground.

Does this mean i am back to the inverter ?. cheers Nick

Reply to
nickphill

That cable doesn't look rated for 11kV and it is marked as Red/Yellow/Blue so it is three-phase, but it does seem to come from the pole top, so it probably is.

You have 11kV three-phase, but the transformer is definitely single-phase, so you need to see what your board will quote for changing the transformer, feeder cable, meter and input fuseboard. The fuses and distribution after the meter are your own responsibility.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Or get some BIG machine tools and run 11kV around the workshop :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

telegraph

outside

Well it's a guesstimate and not yet done, so without giving them the go ahead I won't know the real cost. Don't forget that is just for the

414 x 3 into the premises, all the rest is down to me / my electrician

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson