Alba 1AS shaper

All,

I have aquired an Alba Shaper. It is marked as an Alba 1AS in th casting,both on the machine body and the stand. Does anyone know if there are major differences between this and the 1 model? I have a manual for the 1A, and it looks a bit different from th photos, perticularly the stand isnt full length, but only machin footprint sized. I haven't managed to get it out of the landy yet for a proper look but I do know the toolpost is missing, I think i can make one, but doe it have to fit tightly into the hole in the clapper? There dosnt appea to be a table support, although the tray doesnt look like it has guide for one anyway?

Any help with this, or shapers in general would be much appreciated its all a bit new to me...

tia

Dav

-- small.plane

----------------------------------------------------------------------- small.planes's Profile:

this thread:

small.planes

Not too complicated.

No, not at all. A lathe and a mill (or some filing) is enough.

BTW: I got a brandnew, unused and virgin shaper 2 weeks ago. Built 1965, it was stored in an army depot and found it's way to me 40 years later. The prize was 490.- EUR. :-))) It's a Gack HE 20. I'll post pictures this week ...

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

I forgot to post two links: might help with a manual and/or pictures.

And here is a PDF for using a SM shaper:

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Thanks, Ive Been to Lathes.co.uk before, and there is nothing there. Iv

searched a few of the newsgroups and found a few hints and tips...

On a closer inspection I think the S might be for Shaft, ie line shaft The stand has had a motor grafted not very prettily onto it, and th input pulley is only a single picador one, not a dual speed. there is chunk removed from the drip tray and no obvious guarding points. ca anyone confirm this?

Dav

-- small.plane

this thread:

small.planes