Anyone able to make some replacement worm drives?

Hi all,

Is anyone able to make up some replacement small worm drives please?

These are part of a mechanism which folds back a car door mirror, several of which will be required for a car online forum.

Here is a photo of the item required...

The circular base in the photo is around 2" diameter at a guess.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Had a look at the picture but the detail isn't good.

Firstly is the worm wheel actually a worm wheel or a helical gear? It looks to me it's just a helical gear that was worn with a groove in. Secondly is this gear / worm part of the shaft or is it pressed on ? looks to be splines / straight knurl to the right hand end of the shaft. One poster in the link says you can turn the gear round, in which case then it must be pressed on. So only having to make the one gear works out a lot better. Lastly need to know the number of teeth, the OD of the gear and the angle of the helix. Without this no one can work out what size it is and if a cutter is obtainable.

John S.

Reply to
John S

John S laid this down on his screen :

Thanks John, I'm trying to get some of the answers you need in the thread I linked to above.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Tried to register on the site but was told by your moderator that commercial posts for selling were not allowed so looks like you want these but your club stops you from buying any ?

John S.

Reply to
John S

John S brought next idea :

I don't really see why you might need to register yourself as a commercial seller. Just register at no cost, to allow you to join in the discussions, then take it off to email to discuss the cost of making them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Unfortunately because my email address is my company name I'm classed as commercial when I signed up. They will let me join their little band for the measly sum of =A310 pa but I still need approval.

Didn't mention the dodgy handshake or the rolled up trouser leg.

Seems a right weird way to get people to help THEM ?

John S.

John S.

Reply to
John S

John S pretended :

Hi John, and sorry about that.

I have taken the liberty of passing your email address to 'trebor' in that thread and asked that he email you directly, to sort out exactly what is required.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If John can not help, I would be hapy to havre a go at these, however, like John, I need a sample assembly to get the sizes off. I am pretty confident that I can hob the stripped gear and I can do the worm on the other end if needed. Peter

Reply to
Drawfiler

Drawfiler brought next idea :

Thanks Peter, I'll keep that in mind.