Ballscrew lubrication

Does one lubricate ballscrews? With what?

(I've seen ones with grease nipples, but these don't have them)

Thanks,

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

My Beaver Partsmaster pumps 1.57cc of light machine oil to the ways and three balls screws every 15 mins when the power is on. Air pressure delivers it by an array of manifolds and nylon pipes.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I wonder how they decided on 1.57cc, rather than 1.58 or 1.56 etc? Or even 1.5 or 1.6cc? I can't imagine it was arrived at after months of trials or precise design

Tim

Reply to
duttondock

I reckon, being cynical, that that's how it worked out with the components used, and just measured it so the night shift would know how often to top the tank up!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Mebbe PI appeared in the calculation somewhere and the design calculation arrived at PI / 2 ?

Or is that but pie-in-the-sky?

Reply to
Alun

Maybe it is the correct 'degree' of lubrication expressed in radians? Bob OK, hat,c oat & Bye!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Actually it's very close to 0.05 cu.in.

Reply to
duttondock

For some definition of "very close".

I'll settle for a couple of micro cubic yards, but that's missing the point. We have a flow rate of 1.57cc/15min. Let's take a stab at it and use the standard workshop measuring cylinder (a pint milk bottle). We then get 300 doses/pint, or sufficient for 75 hours. So half a pint per 37 1/2hour working week. Simple, innit?

Regards,

David P.

Reply to
David Powell