Blowtorch gas bottles

Other week I tried to get a gas bottle for an old (1960's-ish)small (pencil-like-flame)torch. Found that they no longer make suitable gas bottles. Okay, no problem, after all, the torch was old.

So, I've managed to found my dad's TAYMAR blowtorch bought a few years ago.

But TAYMAR gas cannister is delisted here:

Is this a correct substitute?:

I know I can get 350g TAYMAR cannisters, but there not commonly available.

Is any butane/propane gas cannister okay which will fit the blowtorch (TAYMAR BT3000 is what I got)? I guess so, just checking. I just want to go in my local B&Q and get a bottle. (Much better than paying 2/3 of total cost in post and handling charges that I've come across).

Reply to
RR

they are available in every builders merchant ..

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

Yes.

Yes.

I guess so, just checking. I just want to

It's a non-standard standard fitting - there is no official standard for the 7/16 Lindal valve fitting, even the thread is non-standard, but almost everybody uses it.

Sometimes a canister with that sort of valve is referred to as an EN417 canister, but EN417 canisters do not need to have the 7/16 Lindal valve

- for instance punctureable butane canisters can be EN417 canisters.

Apart from propane/butane mixes there are other fuel gases, and gas mixes, available in tins with a 7/6 Lindal fitting, and occasionally they won't work with some torches - but this is rare. Most tinned-gas torches will burn most tinned gases, though eg some torches designed for propane do poorly on propane/butane mixtures.

Afaict the TAYMAR BT3000 is a propane/butane torch, and any Lindal valve propane/butane mix canister should work.

It will most likely be able to use any gas supplied in a tin with a Lindal valve fitting as well, but no guarantees - if it does go BOOM, don't blame me.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Probably just find you get a flaming