Brass turning

I wonder if anyone can help me please. I make carriage driving whips in small quantities, usually just one or two to order, but we moved house about five years ago. I used to get the whip f ittings turned for me by a large engineering works but now they are a long way away and they were doing me a favour by handling such a small order and it would be a step too far to put them to the bother of posting as well. D oes anyone know anyone willing to undertake such a task? I usually order ju st a few sets at a time so there is no big money involved. I could make them from soldered sheet brass but it's not a job I like. It s truck me that model engineers might also sometimes need small quantities of brass turning done. Thank-you

Celia

Reply to
celiablay
  1. Whereabouts in the country are you?

  1. Will you be supplying the brass?

Reply to
gareth

If there is no great money involved why don't you get your (presumably satisfactory) company to make up a larger batch to meet your anticipated needs in the next few years thus making the order worthwhile to them.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I'm in Wiltshire near Frome. Getting brass is no problem.

Celia

Reply to
celiablay

They did a great job but the fittings that I had made for around £200 hav e lasted me for five years as most of my work is restoration which doesn't need fittings. If I upped the order I could indeed ask them but as I'm almo st 70 would I live long enough to use them all?

Celia

Reply to
celiablay

Think positive thoughts and you will :)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

If I upped the order I could indeed ask them but as I'm

Well I suppose my heirs could always sell them if traditional whip-makers don't become extinct when I die. I could always make my fortune by taking up offers to make other types of whips.

Celia

Reply to
celiablay

I'm in Trowbridge. Email is real, send details/photo/sample?

Buggy whips, eh?

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Trowbridge isn't far away, I live in Maiden Bradley. I'll send you an email. Thanks

Celia

Reply to
celiablay

For some reason I can't get your email (I hate new google-groups) My real email is c_a_blay @hotmail.com (remove space to get it to work) Drop me a blank email and I'll send photos.