De-magnetising

I have managed to slightly magnetise a rather expensive digital caliper, despite the metal parts being stainless steel, which is causing havoc with all measurements when tiny pieces of swarf are trapped in the jaws. Not having a proprietary de-magnetiser I wonder if there is any domestic equipment that I could use to do the job. I know the technique is to slowly draw the tool away from a rapidly changing magnetic field, but I can't think of anything suitable.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Two easy answers come to mind: either search on eBay for "degausser" or try dropping it in an East-West direction :)

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Don't try heating above the Curie point!

If you have a bit of experience with electrics, and know what impedence is, it's not too difficult to lash up a degausser. Find a coil with a few hundred turns which will take "mains". You might use a field coil out of a dead motor, or the coils from a dismantled transformer. Pop a current limiter (like a mains light bulb) in series if you aren't sure if you have enough impedence. Put the caliper jaws in the centre of the coil, power up the coil and withdraw the caliper to a foot or so away over a few seconds before switching off the power.

Or try an older hi-fi buff, who may have a tape head degausser.

Reply to
newshound

Get an old mains electric motor and whip the rotor and ends out of it. Connect this up and pass your part thru the hole in the middle.

.
Reply to
John Stevenson

Radio Shack used to sell de-gaussers for not very much, but perhaps they didn't work very much either!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

This works fine but turn the power off before it turns into a magic smoke generator! 10 seconds or so is safe but longer periods risks overheating.

A similar trick is to dismantle any small mains transformer that uses "E" and "I" laminations. Throw away the "I"s and reinsert the "E"s into the winding.

Steel drawn slowly across and away from the exposed "E" ends will be demagnetised. Same overheat warning.

Jim

Reply to
pentagrid

That might make your eyes water

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

The coil out of a cheap AC motor, with the rotor removed.

These type are everywhere, inside old appliances, as ventilation air movers, is where I get most that I have.

Remove the rotor, and if you feel flash, wire in a momentary contact switch, so that it only energizes when you want it to.

Power it up, and put the affected part in between the ends where the rotor was, and draw it away slowly.

Done.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

If you still have a friendly local TV engineer he will have a degaussing coil, alternatively putting it on top of your TV when you turn it on might help.

Reply to
Sandy Morton

...Won't help much with an LCD or plasma TV of course!

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Gave my age away a wee bit!

Reply to
Sandy Morton

If you have an AC coil type "Instant" soldering iron, pass the item slowly through the external loop. (With it switched on of course ;-))

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Pass it through a couple of times and the last time take the item to be demagnetised a couple of meters away before you switch off.

Jim Ford

Reply to
Jim Ford