Digital Vernier gone wobbly

Hi there my digital Metabo Vernier will not zero it just wildly churns through the numbers willy nilly. Is this a battery fault or should I be sending it back on the warranty. It has been well looked after as it was special gift from my work colleagues when I was in Hospital after my car crash. Colin.

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

Try removing the battery for 10 mins or so and then refitting making sure there is no finger grease on the battery or contacts.

This might fix it ie reset its brain. Alternatively if this does not work try a new battery.

If the battery is low then the first sympton is that the viewing angle of the LCD drops and the contrast can be poorer too.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Mine (not Metabo) do that when they get wet. A spell near the stove, with the cell removed, always seems to put them right.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Cheers, It is a Mityubo or of similar name Thansk will get it out of the shed draw and do the tests

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

Colin, can you explain to a confused American what a "digital vernier" is? Is this another case of two countries separated by a common language?

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things

Marvin W. Klotz

A digital vernier has digital display for the reading while an ordinsry vernier has scales to read and takes slightly more effort - not enough to persuade me to get a digital.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

Substitute caliper for vernier and it makes more sense:-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand
[snip]

A vernier is a type of scale, not a type of measuring instrument. You can have vernier calipers (which I assume you're talking about), but you can also find verniers on many other kinds of instrument - micrometers and protractors, for example, which bear little relation to calipers in terms of their operation. Digital calipers do not have a vernier scale, so it's nonsensical to talk about 'digital verniers' or 'digital vernier calipers'.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

Tim -

Actually, the sensing mechanism in a digital caliper uses a very similar technique to the Vernier - there is a pattern of copper pads on the "scale" of the caliper that are at a known spacing, and the read hed (in the moveable bit) has sensing pads at a known (but different) spacing. As the head moves, a small (smaller than either spacing) movement results in a change of the point of coincidence between the two scales, just as happens in a Vernier scale; the difference is that the electronics detects the change in the point of coincidence, not the eye.

So it isn't quite as nonsensical as you suggest to call them digital Verniers - that is effectively what they are.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

That was my somewhat tongue-in-cheek point. "Vernier" is not a synonym for "calipers". One can have "digital calipers" or "vernier calipers" but, as you point out, "digital vernier" makes no sense.

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things

Marvin W. Klotz

Interesting. I knew they operated on capacitance but I didn't know they used 'phase' in a similar way to a vernier scale. Still, even if 'digital vernier' might make some sense, 'vernier' is generally misused to mean 'kind of caliper', not 'kind of scale'. Dial calipers do not operate on anything like the same principle as vernier scales, yet you still see 'dial vernier calipers' advertised.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

Or Very Near as we always called both types.

Wayne....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

But the signals are analog. :-))

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I wonder who invented the caliper type, ie with two inside edges, two outside edges, and depth and step measuring edges.

Perhaps it was M. Vernier?

BTW, if your eyes are at all iffy it's much easier to read a digital thingy than a Vernier scale. More, taking measurements on a digital is easier - you only have to consider whether the edges are in contact properly, you don't have to worry about reading the scale at right angles. One of mine has a hold button too, useful when measuring in situ and in confined spaces.

Digitals are probably slightly more accurate too. My expensive Vernier does

0.02 mm in theory but it's hard to be sure of the last 0.02, whereas my cheap digital thingies read to 0.01 mm (and two out of three are accurate to +/- 0.01 mm).
Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Get a Mitutoyo (others have that too). Both scales are on one plane. No paralax error.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Haven't seen a Mitotoyo, but I have a B+S one which has a step between the angled vernier surface and the main scale, so parallax errors are possible - but ...

why on earth would I want to "get" one? My cheap digitals are both more accurate then a 530/531/532 Vernier Mitutoyo, and _far_ easier to read and use - and at 1/4 the price too.

A digital Mitotoyo caliper is a nice bit of kit, but does it work any better than my cheap ones? Perhaps if you are looking for ~ 0.01 mm measurement accuracies, but I generally use micrometers for those.

now a 0.001 mm digiMito mike - ah, dream on, peter

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

Yes, because with a Mitutoyo the caliper can be switched off, or more correctly almost off rather than just blanking the display. This means the battery lasts for years rather than a matter of weeks as is normal with the cheapies. Whether it is worth paying 40 quid more is open to question but I know I'd rather be making swarf than searching for batteries.

Reply to
Mike