Goofed, broken drill into workpiece :-((

message

It's a fairly standard / common Eurospark 425 - iirc takes an electrode of up to about 10kgs and the tank / table is about 18" square - hopefully returning to its new home in a few months

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In article , Dave Baker writes

Aluminium potassium sulphate, K2SO4.Al2(SO4)3.12H2O. Fairly common chemical. Only advantage I can think of is that it's less likely to eat your flesh.

[Actually, for the terminally curious, there is a whole family of "alums" of general formula K2SO4.M2(SO4)3.xH2O, where M is a trivalent metal ion. Fe3+ and Cr3+ are probably the best known, termed iron alum and chrome alum. But the aluminium version is by far the commonest, and usually just referred to as "alum". Makes sense, as the others don't actually have any aluminium in them....]

They are easy to grow into nice big pretty crystals, especially the Cr version, which is a nice red colour. Getting a bit OT here though.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

£3.99 plus £2.25 postage for 250 g.

Used for dyeing, as a mordant, and so on.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Jewellers supply firms usually sell a nitric acid paste. This is used by watch and clock repairers to remove broken screws. Mine is a white paste. Just put a dab on the end of the offending object, and warm over a flame. Repeat as needed. Not sure how effective it is with HSS though.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

some windscreen washer winter additives are 100 percent isopropyl

so dont go wasteing your money at the chemist .when 1 litre of the stuff can be bought for £1.29

all the best.mark

Interesting! Here in British Columbia, isopropyl alcohol is available off the shelf in most drug stores (chemists). I find all sorts of uses for it.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

I have some alum somewhere. Take a deer or sheep skin, spread it out and apply a solution of alum and it will cure it to make you a rug. Don't worry about the animal rights people, sheep are bred to give you lamb and the deer have to be culled. Venison is a fat free supply of protein. Donald, South Uist

Reply to
Donald

Making pickles a bit more cruchy.

Wes

Wes

I never though of that. It's got to be better than soaking in brine. Any good recipes/mixtures?

Home grown onions pickled with home grown chilies make for a happy Christmas!!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

On or around Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:15:39 -0000, "Steve" enlightened us thusly:

I've an idea it's used in curing animal skins.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 24 Mar 2008 00:26:28 +0000, Peter Fairbrother enlightened us thusly:

and for when you cut yourself shaving.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

can you not use a big rare-earth magnet and just pull it out?

Reply to
bigegg

another idea - can you use it as the sacrificial anode in an electrolytic rust removal bath (or would that eat the aluminium first?)

Reply to
bigegg