Has the world gone mad?

Just been googling for hex brass bolts - very few suppliers seem to carry them these days. The only one I found is asking £146 for a box of 100 10mm diam x 16mm length. That surely is taking the p***.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Andrew

email me with what you need, I'll see what's in stock locally.

Tim

Tim Leech

I picked up some M10 & M12 brass hex the other day, just put them on the tab. I hope they don't charge me that sort of money :-(

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

any good? M10x20mm

(usual disclaimer)

Reply to
bigegg

Reply to
Andrew Bishop

FWIW, M10 x 20 brass bolts from local supplier are 52p each

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Yess they'll do nicely thank you. I don't believe the Farnell catalogues search whatzit - I placed an order on Friday evening with Farnell for some other stuff and tried for the brass bolts then - all I found was the sort you put on a door! Now I see they call them 'sets' !!! You'd think there would be some sort of cross look up in the search engine !!!!!!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Tim, I still haven't had a chance to call my local place (Modern Screws, which conjures up nubile gymnasts) but thanks.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I just did "Brass M10"

Like I said before - I use the search engine more than most

Reply to
bigegg

Got my bill today, they have charged me 78p each for 20 off M10 x 25 brass hex setscrews

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

£60 plus VAT at our local supplier. They thought they 'might' be able to improve on that, plus they thought a 20mm long might be cheaper as it is a more popular size.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Got them from Farnell eventually when I found that they call bolts 'sets' - about £15 for 50 for 20mm length, but they came with a note saying they would not supply after current stocks run out.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

A setscrew (or sometimes setbolt) is a screw/bolt threaded all the way to the head.

Tim

Tim Leech

Oh yes but if they are going to abreviate to SET you'd think there'd be a cross look up to bolt at least !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I quite agree. If I went into the local bolt store or engineers' merchants I would ask for 'sets', but then the context should make it obvious what I want.

On the subject of prices going silly, I went to the electrical wholesalers (a branch of a big firm) wanting some 2-core power tool flex, hoping they would have it in 50m or even 25m coils. No such luck, only 100m, but he *refused* to give me a price. "It'll be too much! Go to B&Q!" They have a catalogue of their wares on the counter, with prices. All the cable pages have been removed. I could have pressed him further but couldn't be bothered. He did get in some 3-core flex with the braided outer for me (SY???), I asked for

5m, next day there was a drum end with more like 20m waiting for me

Tim

Tim Leech

He might have done you a favour. farnell have more than doubled the list prices on some of the cable over the last month.

As far as I can tell, B&Q are still charging last year's prices

Reply to
bigegg

2182Y in Black 0.75 2-core we usually have on the shelf, we have a couple of hand electric drills with long leads these days....

If you need some, I'll check on Monday, off to a funeral tomorrow :-((

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I appreciate the offer, Peter, but I'm after something a bit meatier. It need to be big enough for a 2kW grinder on 110V.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

We have a reel of that flexible sheathed stuff in 2-core, but it is quite big on diameter, probably 2.5mm cable, 2 core + sheath.

Peter

Peter A Forbes