How much for a 100g lump of Tungsten?

I need a smallish very dense weight for counter balancing something.

Is that barking? Can I get it supplied and machined for less?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

ISTR there are several tungsten alloys of different densities available for weights. 100 grams of "tungsten" darts would be cheaper than this.

I suspect that depleted uranium might be cheaper; if you can get hold of it!

Reply to
newshound

MMm. What are fishing weights made3 on now? You might be able to cast them in resin and grind the thing down to the exact weight.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Does it really need to be W? Would lead do - just over half the density, so cube root of 2 times the size in each direction.

Reply to
Tim Watts

And lead is easy to cast.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As a guide:

1/4 lb. of tungsten powder in 5-7.5 micron is US $23 here:

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

here is interesting

The Natural Philosopher

Depends.

Eg, for just the machining, in lots of about 10, excluding the cost of the bar, you could probably get some not-fool here to cut a 20mm pure tungsten bar into 20mm lengths, drill and tap, finish nicely, for about

alloy, density ~ 17.5g/cc, was used instead of pure tungsten.

Of course that does not include the cost of the bar - which is highly

Another possibility is casting tungsten powder in epoxy or similar.

cheap, casting is easy - though the density will be only about 13g/cc max, and probably less.

A third possibility is sintered tungsten powder alloy, cast/sintered in shape. Mix W powder with a fine nickel braze powder like nicrobraz 30, ram into moulds, induction heat. Very strong, density up to about 16 g/cc.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Thanks Peter and all,

Casting tungsten it is then :-)

Hmmm...

(Poor Dogs!)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

That looks like a potentially useful find. Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

asked them for a quote once, iirc it was about three hundred fifty quid for about twenty quids worth of stuff - I don't mind paying a bit more for small orders, or for rare stuff, but that was ridiculous.

Almost as bad as Goodfellows prices.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Have you thought of googling "tungsten carbide manufacturers" and seeing if there is one nearer enough to you to ask if they might have the odd scrap component that might serve your purpose?

Reply to
Anzaniste