How Would You Cut This?

Hi,

Hope you all had a good Christmas,

I need to cut two of the following shape out of 12mm thick acrylic sheet and was wondering the best way to go about it?

Initially I was going to CNC it but it's too big for the machine, so I thought about doing it manually but again too big. Only other thing I can think of is doing it manually and drilling out as much of the channel as I can and then filing what's left......Short of getting it done professionally - any ideas?

I've done a metric and imperial version (ah the joys of working with CAD :-) )

Metric version (in mm)

version (in inches)
Cheers,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Put stops at one end of the table. Mill half of the job. Turn it round Do the other half ?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

'fraid not - there's (non removable) guards around the machines limiting the workpiece to under half a metre.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

How about making a pattern and using that as a guide for a manual router? Routers (if it is a decent one), do have guides for taking off from patterns. These guides are called "copying rings" (at least here). Depends on how accurate you want it.

Anyhow, cutting acrylic is not that much fun. Cool, cool and cool, sharp tools and cool!

Oh! It has to be precise to 6 digits behind the decimal point! ;-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

:-)

I must admit taking a router to a £30 + sheet of plastic doesn't sound like fun....

Guess beggers can't be choosers :-D

Michael

Reply to
Michael

In article , Michael writes

I've got a mate in the plastic-cutting trade. I'll shoot him an email and ask for ideas.

It might be a day or two before he sobers up...

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

Cheers Nigel,

I won't be starting for a couple of weeks so no rush.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

I'd also recommend using a router.

The trick is to make the template as accurate as possible.

The two pairs of slots (top left / bottom right) are identical, so you would only need to make a template about 350mm x 90mm or so.

make the width of the template so the top edge is the correct distance from the slot for the top left group, and bottom edge of template is correct distance for bottom r/h slot.

I's recomend 12mm mdf (assuming you're set up to mill it.)

Then, if you get a 6.35mm top bearing guided cutter - something like this:

Will cut your slots to with a thou (at least) of your template.

You can practice on a spare bit of mdf first if you're a bit doubtful.

*WEAR A DUST MASK WHEN ROUTING / MILLING MDF*

I spent six weeks coughing up black sputum the only time I didn't.

Reply to
bigegg

In article , Michael writes

OK, he's recommending the router and wooden guide approach too.

If you get *really* stuck, he says he can laser it out for you.

I'd suggest trying the router approach. If it doesn't work, give me a shout and I'll see what can be set up.

Cheers,

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

a quick visit to the side door of your local CNC machinists?

It would easily be a lunch time job for beer money for someone with access to a decent size CNC machine, the program would involve very few steps and machining time would be minimal.

Reply to
SimonJ

I've been thinking about this, I must say that I think by the time I buy a decent router (or even a cheap one), the proper cutter and two thick sheets of MDF I'm probably looking at over the cost of having it CNCed and there's alot less 'risk' of screwing it up....

Nigel, could I have the contact details of your mate please and I'll ask him for a quote?

Cheers,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

I keep forgetting not everyone has a router and bits and a shed-full of MDF already :.))

Reply to
bigegg

A decent one costs a lot, that's true. A cheap one nearly nothing. I got a Festool OF 1050 (IIRC), and I would try it with it.

The cutter is cheap.

MDF is compressed crap + resin. It costs close to nothing.

The only risk is the risk of learning something. ;-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Forgot to add: With a router, you can make really nice camfers on aluminium. So it isn't waisted money for wood-working-crap[tm].

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

£25-30 from Aldi/lidl etc. Although they might object to you taking out the MSD the store was built out of.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

In article , Michael writes

Certainly can, bit I'll need a proper email address. ;^)

My header address is valid, shoot me an email and I'll put you in touch.

Cheers,

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

Pack up to above the guards with scrap MDF perhaps.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Whittome