Identifying a mystery Clarke CMD300 collet

Hi there,

I've got a Clarke CMD300 milling machine and the matching mill chuck set ().

Now I find myself in need of a few extra collets - while my Dormer end mills are all 6mm shank, I have a couple of smaller diameter end mills that I'd also like to use.

The collets look like ER collets and fit into the nut in exactly the same way (insert at an angle, screw part-way into chuck, insert tool and lock). The problem is, they don't seem to fit any of the standard ER sizes...

Working from the DIN-6499-B diagram on page 2 of this Schaublin PDF:

I get the following measurements:

L = 44.9mm D1 = 23.9mm Bore at rear = 13.75mm

Does anyone know what these things are?

Thanks,

Reply to
Philip Pemberton

Hi there,

I've got a Clarke CMD300 milling machine and the matching mill chuck set ().

Now I find myself in need of a few extra collets - while my Dormer end mills are all 6mm shank, I have a couple of smaller diameter end mills that I'd also like to use.

The collets look like ER collets and fit into the nut in exactly the same way (insert at an angle, screw part-way into chuck, insert tool and lock). The problem is, they don't seem to fit any of the standard ER sizes...

Working from the DIN-6499-B diagram on page 2 of this Schaublin PDF:

I get the following measurements:

L = 44.9mm D1 = 23.9mm Bore at rear = 13.75mm

Does anyone know what these things are?

That is exactly the same size as the collets I got from Chester to go with the X1 mill I bought from them 8 years ago, Chester part number 003-101. I have since bought some imperial collets to match from Arc Euro when they were clearing out old stock. I have never found out what they actually are but haven't tried that hard I must admit. One or t'other of the above might be able to help.

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
Andy Parker

[...]

addendum, when it came up on another group several years ago somebody suggested they were TG75 collets and the diagram at

would seem to support that.

Reply to
Andy Parker

Sadly the dimensions don't match... :(

I've just sprung for some ER32 collets and a chuck from Arc Euro; I just wish I hadn't spent the inordinate amount of money on the Clarke one... may end up putting the thing on ebay (going by their website, Machine Mart don't accept returns) :-/

Cheers,

Reply to
Philip Pemberton

If you buy remotely (i.e. phone, post or internet) from a business seller, then they are legally obliged to take returns - provided you notify them within 14 days (used to be 7, but IIRC it went up last summer). They must also refund the carriage charge to you (but you will be obliged to pay return carriage, if they specify in advance). If the trader does not inform you of your rights in advance, the time limit for you to notify a return is extended.

See the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 - you will find plenty online. I appreciate you may now be too late, but maybe next time...

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

It goes up to 14 days on 13 June (this year).

-- Peter Fairbrother

[ regulation 30, The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 ]
Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

OK, thank you Peter. I knew I'd seen a reference to June somewhere!

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

if you buy from one of their shops they really don't like to give refunds or replacements for faulty products either (like nibblers where the punch was ground in such a way that it snapped at the stress raiser they'd designed into it...)

If, however, you refuse to leave, keep haranguing them and explain the problem to every customer and potential customer that comes in, they eventually get the hint :-)

I didn't need all the agro, but this had been the replacement for one that failed after half an hour of use and it failed in 10 seconds of use...

Reply to
Mark Rand

I'm going into Bristol branch tomorrow to pick up a repaired bench hydraulic press pump. It failed in some way after 11 months and they happily took it in for repair and hopefully all is good when I test it, bit of a pain having to go to Bristol to get it though. I have a Machinemart nibbler and the only time it gave problems was when I used it on stainless steel but they had the spares in stock. On the few occasions I've needed spares for their tools I always found they had them and at a good price such as the replacement worm and wheel for the

4" x 6" bandsaw which had worn out after they shifted out of alignment. Rebuilt with decent bearings also as one that was fitted had a bore 0.005" over what it should have been. The bandsaw at about 15 years old has done a lot of cutting.
Reply to
David Billington

The best of luck getting them to repect their legal obligations to you as a customer.

NEVER accept a credit note from them EVER. In future ALWAYS purchase from ANY other supplier. Anyone, even a negative feedback trader on ebay is a better bet than Machine Mart.

Machine Mart have a long established reputation of being shit when it comes to customer service. Their catalogue and all their other shitty junk mail goes straight in the recycling bin.

Reply to
Mr Anon