Inserts for Arrand tool 46-006G

The inserts are three point tip side 10 or 10,2 mm 2,5 mm thick, think they are possitive. Do anyone know where I can get some or correct number. Knut Pedersen Bergen Norway

Reply to
Knut Pedersen

All Arrand tools take the same sized inserts, and you have a choice o

two ? for mild or other (IIRC).

I really like their tools, but find their lack of website a bi frustrating. Nevertheless they are good at answering the phone (+4 (0)1664 454566 ) and post out promptly. I think their tips are abu

30.00 for a box of ten. You can probably buy equivalents for less, bu I don't know enough about tip technology to know what I'd need, so just buy them from Arrand

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

IIRC they're TCMT 110204,Sandvik are my preferred ones.

Alla

-- Allan Waterfal

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Allan Waterfall's Profile:

this thread:

Allan Waterfall

In article , Knut Pedersen writes

I have an Arrand 46-001 face mill, which I think takes the same kind of inserts. They are TCMT 11 02 04. You can find them on eBay, though not often, most of the vast flood of tips on eBay are rather larger industrial sizes.

There is an international system for designating replaceable tool tips, and a very useful summary of it was published as a card insert in an early issue of MEW. In essence, each of the 4 letters describes one aspect of the shape and fixing method, the numbers give the size and tip radius, and there are often some subsidiary numbers to give a material grade. No doubt there is a web site somewhere with these details on it - if anyone knows it, please pass it on.

I agree with Matt, the Arrand tools are very good. Pity they all have imperial drawbars, my Emco stuff uses metric, and I'm forever swapping over...

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Copy & paste from a recent thread on the HSM site:

Carbide Insert Terminology

The first letter refers to the shape of the insert:

S - Square T ? Triangular C ? Rhombic/Diamond 80° included angle D ? Rhombic/Diamond 55° included angle E ? Rhombic/Diamond 75° included angle F ? Rhombic/Diamond 50° included angle M ? Rhombic/Diamond 86° included angle V ? Rhombic/Diamond 35° included angle W ? Hexagonal/Trigon H ? Hexagonal O ? Octagonal P ? Pentagonal L ? Rectangular A ? Parallelogram 88° included angle B ? Parallelogram 82° included angle N/K ? Parallelogram 55° included angle R ? Round

The second letter refers to the side relief angle:

N ? 0° A ? 3° B ? 5° C ? 7° P ? 11° D ? 15° E ? 20° F ? 25° G ? 30°

The third letter refers to tolerances on the insert ? too much too list here as there are several columns of tables.

The fourth letter refers to both the fixing method of the insert, and whether it has chipbreaker, and whether the insert is double sided so you can turn it over.

N ? no screw hole, no chipbreaker, single sided R ? no screw hole, with chipbreaker, single sided F ? no screw hole, with chipbreaker, double sided A ? cylindrical hole, no chipbreaker, single sided M ? cylindrical hole, with chipbreaker, single sided G ? cylindrical hole, with chipbreaker, double sided W ? cylindrical hole, c/sunk 40-60°, no chipbreaker, single sided T ? cylindrical hole, c/sunk 40-60°, with chipbreaker, single sided Q ? cylindrical hole, c/sunk 40-60°, no chipbreaker, double sided U ? cylindrical hole, c/sunk 40-60°, with chipbreaker, double sided B ? cylindrical hole, c/sunk 70-90°, no chipbreaker, double sided H ? cylindrical hole, c/sunk 70-90°, with chipbreaker, single sided C ? cylindrical hole, c/sunk 70-90°, no chipbreaker, double sided J ? cylindrical hole, c/sunk 70-90°, with chipbreaker, double sided

The first single number, or first double-digit number, refers to edge length/size. This varies as to whether the inserts are being described as imperial or metric:

For example, metric cutting edge lengths of 6mm; 9mm; & 12 mm would have numbers as follows:- 06; 09; 12. The imperial system uses numbers to refer to the size of the inscribed circle (IC) that can be drawn inside the insert and be tangent to all faces. For example, 2 = ¼? IC; 3 = 3/8? IC; 4 = ½? IC; 5 = 5/8? IC.

The second single or double digit number refers the thickness of the insert, and again this varies as to whether it?s being sold as imperial or metric. A few common sizes listed are as follows, with imperial designation first followed by metric designation in parentheses:

1 (01) = 1/16?/1.59mm 2 (03) = 1/8? / 3.18mm 2.5 (T3) = 5/32? / 3.97mm 3 (04) = 3/16? / 4.76mm 4 (06) = ¼? / 6.35mm

The third single or double digit number refers to the nose radius: A few common sizes listed are as follows, with imperial designation first followed by metric designation in parentheses:

0 (01) = 0.004?/ 0.1mm 0.5 (02) = 0.008?/ 0.2mm 1 (04) = 1/64? / 0.4mm 2 (08) = 1/32? / 0.8mm 3 (12) = 3/64? / 1.2mm
Reply to
Peter Neill

Just checked my catalogue and Alan is correct. Both types are TCM

110204. Arrand offer two grades: 'A1 Multipurpose' and 'A2 Steel' which should not be used on cast iron. You can buy them singly or 1 off:

A1 46-500 (1 off) 46-501 (10 off) A2 46-502 (1 off) 46-503 (10 off)

Contact details are:

Arrand The Forge Knossington Nr. Oakham Leicestershire LE15 8LN England

Tel/fax 01664 454566

If you prefer to shop on line then Millhill Supplies seem to b 'slightly' more advanced:

Personally, I'd go straight to Arrand, nice people and reliabl suppliers - they'd have to be. How many other small British firms d what they do and have survived? :-

-- Myford Mat

this thread:

Myford Matt

Reply to
Knut Pedersen

Here is one online:

If you download their catalog "Turning Part 3" there is the table, together with pictures.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller