Kress router collet removal

A Kress woodworking router may seem off topic at first, but the subject is relevant. I am looking for ideas to ease the removal of the collet which jams in the holder so tightly that I have to tap it out with a hammer on a drift behind the edge. This is even after extracting the router bit by jacking it out with the collet nut. I have no idea if the 0.25" collet is a standard engineering design or a special made by Kress.

I am considering making a hole through the side of the collet holder so that a tapered piece of brass can be inserted behind the collet to wedge it out. Does this seem reasonable, or are there alternative solutions?

Cliff Coggin Kent UK

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

I use a forked (u-shaped with a handle)piece of soft aluminium about

0.25" thick which slides around the shaft of the router bit then "jacking it out with the collet nut" - use two or three if neccessary until the bit comes out completely.

I wouldn't use a drift - if you bend the shaft even slightly, you're going to have problems - vibration at 25K rpm is going to do some serious damage to the bit, the workpiece and potentially *you*

Reply to
bigegg

All the Kress units I use have a standard collet nut, just like the ER series. You just loosen the collet nut, and then continue to undo it to remove the collet. The is normally not a problem, so is your collet nut not allowing you to do that?

Reply to
Lester Caine

Does that imply that the collet should be fitted into the nut in the same way that an ER collet is. Is that Cliff's problem?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I bet! So Cliff, you have to insert the collet into the nut. There is a groove in the collet that grips into the nut. Now the collet nut pulls out the collet and your problem is gone.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Most router collets (Ele, DeWalt, Trend, CMT etc) all work like ER collets. Snap the collet into the nut then screw onto the router, insert bit and tighten. To remove loosen nut with spanner, turn about two full turns until it tightens again then use spanner to break the grip of the collet in its taper.

If its not ejecting properly then the nut or collet are lekely to be worn.

Jason

Reply to
jasonballamy

The nut comes off, (and jacks out the bit,) but the collet stays jammed in the holder.

Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

I have just tried Jason's suggestion and it worked a treat. I didn't know the collet was supposed to be held by a lip in the nut, and the instructions never made that clear, so I have lived with the problem for the four years since I bought the machine. Of course I had heard of ER collets on this newsgroup, but always assumed they were just another taper and never appreciated they had this feature to extract the collet. Thanks Jason.

Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

It sounds like a faulty collet or really a 6mm one that is slightly too small for your tools.

Contact the maker/importer and see if they can help (preferably by replacement).

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

Hi Cliff, i have had the same problem with my Bosch router and it i

nearly always down to dust or resin getting into the collet housing. rub down with solvent usually clears the problem. On a similar vein, made a mild steel 8mm collet to take advantage of the cheep Chines carbide cutters coming onto the market, no problems to date, regard Dav

-- DCree

----------------------------------------------------------------------- DCreed's Profile:

this thread:

DCreed

Clipping into the nut clip is a pain on the Kress unit, much easier on the ER type which I think followed it. My problem is normally getting the collet back out of the nut once it is extracted :)

Reply to
Lester Caine

Well if I ever find out, I'll let you know, but don't hold your breath. It's taken me 4 or 5 years to find out how to extract the collet from machine, so you know I don't like to rush things :)

Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

While I've got 3mm collets, the 6mm tends to stay, and I use stepped tools - saves having to take out the collet at all:)

The more annoying thing is that Kress have dropped the variable speed spindles altogether and only have the three single speed spindles. So if anybody knows of an alternative for the now unavailable 8000 to 24000 RPM unit I would be most grateful!

Reply to
Lester Caine

Kress is an alternative. :-) They still have it.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Nick - it looks like I needed your translation skills :) I had downloaded the manual on the new range, but was miss reading the no-load speed as they quote a single speed when loaded, unlike the data sheet on the older units which quoted the 'range under load' :) I have now found a better set of notes which actually show the speed pot - which looked like the cable release on the previous document. So now I need to get a price on the 800FME

Reply to
Lester Caine