Lathe coolant additive

Hi all Has anyone have any ideas of any additives I can put into my lathe coolant tank, like anti-bacterial, anti-smelly stuff? in small amounts? If the coolant is not used much, how long should it be before being replaced? Cheers in advance. Brad

Reply to
BRAD

Brad, you don't need additives. Main issue is when a film of tramp oil or separated soluble oil settles on the surface and excludes air, so the anaerobic bacteria can breed. Either fit a skimmer (I use the belt style) or aerate the tank with a fish tank bubbler.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Yep. I don't think there are any additives which actually work, have tried a fair number

Fish tank bubbler on a timer is probably best. Shouldn't cost more than

hour a day).

-- Peter F

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

runs for a hour a day and seems to be fine. It is about time I changed the coolant though as I think I had allowed it to dry out as it isn't used frequently and it may have congealed in the tank as it's now rather weak having topped up the water lost due to evaporation.

Reply to
David Billington

Many thanks everyone who replied, I love simple solutions and I'll get a fish tank pump a.s.a.p. Brad