Medium Sized Milling Machine?

Threaded View

Hello again,

I have been designing an building a small CNC 3 axis table type machine
for
cutting out model aircraft components from wood and foam.

This got me thinking about getting a medium sized mill and possibly
adding cnc
control at some stage to that so I could use it for cutting
metal.

My question is: what is a good, cheap (in used form!), small to medium
sized
mill? Something to complement the ML7 lathe in terms of size (I am
quickly
running out of space).

Thanks,

Garth.

--
DR_G
Re: Medium Sized Milling Machine?

Garth - I wish you lived closer.

I have a Sherline 5400 Mill sitting in my garage that I picked up used
and never
managed to use.  I'm looking to get rid of it. It's fully
qualified and ready to
be converted to CNC.

Any ideas on the best way to sell this thing?

TRP
TRP's
Re: Medium Sized Milling Machine?
Garth,

I could well be interested.

If you have a chance, please would you contact me via my website.

Many thanks

Duncan
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Re: Medium Sized Milling Machine?

Odie Ferrous Wrote:

Duncan,

Interested in what??

Regards,

Garth.

--
DR_G
Re: Medium Sized Milling Machine?

I'm possibly interested in TRP's Sherline 5400 mill.

Or something of that ilk / capability.

Duncan
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk

I wouldn't describe the Sherline as a "medium sized mill" which was
the original requirement - this is a small desktop machine.

Actually better off with the Taig in this size of machine IMHO -
slightly more capacity and altogether a more robust machine. Very easy
to CNC convert too.

Regards,
Tony

Re: Medium Sized Milling Machine?

  Seig X series mills would be the most appropriate, I think. As well,
there is a solid knowledge base for doing exactly that.

  The Taig/Peatol mill might suffice, but I suspect to be too small for
what you are looking for.

  Search online for "seig X3" or "seig super X3".

  Used. Look around for one of the RF25 or RF30 mill drills with the
round column.
  Much maligned for the lack of indexing of the head to the column, they
are still a very useful tool, and have been available for quite a while,
at reasonable prices.

  Cheers
   Trevor Jones

Re: Medium Sized Milling Machine?

Trevor Jones Wrote:

Trevor,

Thanks for the suggestion.

The Sieg X3 looks exactly the size I was after. I looked at a few user
sites,
and from the detail photographs it does look a bit like something
of Machine
Mart quality. Not that this necessaritly makes it totally
unacceptable, but, are
there any British makes of that size or at least
something more comparable to my
ML7 in build quality? Obviously this
would be second hand. I have just bought an
old British Bench Drill to
replace my crappy NuTool item, and I promised myself
not to buy nasty
stuff in future.

Regards,

Garth.

--
DR_G
Re: Medium Sized Milling Machine?

  There may well be, but likely, not one that is as well suited to a CNC
conversion. The X3 is doubly qualified, as you can order it as a ready
to convert model as well as a straight manual machine, IIRC.
  They only qualify as nasty, if you start comparing them to industrial
equipment that is very much older, and cost very many times what these
cost now, when they were new.

  Take a look at the mills on the lathes.co.uk site and you will see a
representation of milling machines of sizes suitable for a Model Engineer.

  Most of them are not really good candidates for a CNC conversion.

  Cheers
   Trevor Jones

Re: Medium Sized Milling Machine?

I would agree. The significant thing about the X3 is that it has a
divetail Z axis. Round column mills are a nightmare for CNC conversion
- generally the only workable solution is to drive the quill, which is
not as straightforward.

Regards,
Tony

Re: Medium Sized Milling Machine?

I've got a baby X1 from Axminster (couldnt afford bigger) and I use it for
making replacement parts for vintage RC cars.

Ok, its not exactly the greatest mill on earth but its great for what I use
it for. But then for £240 I cant complain at all. And from what I can see on
the web it has great modification potential. There are quite a few CNC
conversion projects out there, which, one day, I plan to do.

Perhaps one day I'll be able to afford a bigger one and join the big boys!!!
(Most likely when I ruin the X1 by trying the CNC conversion!!!!)

AC

Re: Medium Sized Milling Machine?

Little bit small, but thanks for the information.

Regards,

Garth.

--
DR_G
Re: Medium Sized Milling Machine?

I got a Dore-Westbury a couple of years ago. This does complement the
ML7 very well, because it has the same nose thread and shares quite a
lot of tooling, but my overall impression is that it isn't as sturdy
as the Myford. I paid 240 for it which I think was unusually cheap,
and personally I don't think I'd want to pay the 500-ish that they
normally seem to go for. I'll keep it until I'm limited by the mill's
capabilities rather than mine, then I'll upgrade it.

If I could think of a good excuse I'd quite fancy the Steinel that's
currently on homeworkshop.org. I don't know a lot about them but
it just looks a lot more like a real machine than the chinese mills.
I'd look at the Centec 2A as well.

I'm quite willing to be corrected by more knowledgable people here,
though. I'm easily tempted by nice solid lumps of iron and easily
put off by plastic handwheels, whatever the other attributes !

-adrian

Re: Medium Sized Milling Machine?

Is a Tom Senior M1 too big?

Dave

Re: Medium Sized Milling Machine?

NoSpam Wrote:

Dave,

I think it is just a bit too big.

Regards,

Garth.

--
DR_G
Re: Medium Sized Milling Machine?

An an ashamed plug here. Have a look at

http://www.tamarisktechnicals.com/pages/cnc.html

This is a mod to a Chester champion I did some years ago.  Still use it
every now and then, one of the servo's has seized at present due to
coolant getting in it.

Adrian

Re: Medium Sized Milling Machine?

Adrian Wrote:

Adrian,

Thats a very informative website.

Thanks,

Garth.

--
DR_G
Re: Medium Sized Milling Machine?
Great Site Adrian: Bookmarked.

Re: Medium Sized Milling Machine?
Have a look on youtube. Lots of info on converting a mill to cnc. The mill
of choice is an sieg X2 but lots of info that you may be able to use on
another machine. I have an an X2 which is a great little machine with many
add-ons available to bring it up to spec. I just fitted a belt drive mod to
it which has improved it no end (have a look at my video on youtube) and
everything for easy cncing is available also have a look at
sterling-steele.com.

Site Timeline