Mild steel bar

Hi all,

I am looking for some Mild Steel bar, 1/16" square, but I can't find any. I have tried O.K. Services (Sutton in Ashfield), Gratton (Derby), Egglestons (Derby) and one or two other places, all to no avail.

This is for a part on my Lady Stephanie Beam engine. (It is a lattice framework, like a crane gib).

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks. Dave Colliver.

Customise your internet experience

Dave

Key steel?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Try looking for water hardening (W1) tool steel. Works much like mil

steel in the unhardened state. In the US it's about $0.75 for a thre foot length in 1/16 square

-- GailInN

First R/C 1956

----------------------------------------------------------------------- GailInNM's Profile:

this thread:

GailInNM

Welding rod might also be an option

Joules

Reply to
Joules

Sorry, I should learn to read.... "Square Rod"

Reply to
Joules

Try 1/8 square and plane it down?

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

thats one hell of a plane you got if you can plane mild steel with it... surely tou mean mill?

Reply to
Tim Bird

Hi Dave. You could try

Although they might not list it on their website, they stock a good range of square and round bar. That sure is small bar though. I work in engineering, and can get most steels, but I think that a 6 metre length would probably be supplied in a coil! I can enquire if you're still stuck. If Inwoods aren't too helpful, mail me directly at joelandyman postmaster.co.uk and I'll pop in and see what they have. I work 100 yds from them. Cheers. Joe. P.S We use Parker steel suppliers, ASC Metals and sometimes even RS Components. I'm sure they all have websites. RS are great for key steels e.t.c, and you can't fault their delivery. Must be the only thing they're price competitive on!

Reply to
Joe landy

I have a modest stock of 1/16" square Silver Steel. how much do you need?

ChrisH

Reply to
ChrisH

Presumably you don't need long lengths. How about slicing it off some 16 swg sheet with a fine slitting saw in a mill? I've done this with brass and it works well.

Reply to
Tim Christian

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Rather shows you lack of practical experience. Bit like the 259 problem.

Have you ever actually done any model engineering?

Reply to
Nimrod

I have some 1/8" BMS that I could use, however, having been apprentice trained in engineering, I know what would happen.

BMS is drawn cold. This sets up stresses in the material. Machine one side and you relieve the stress. The other side, still under stress will now try and relieve itself and guess what?

(During my apprenticeship, this was demonstrated with a practical exercise, making a U shape out from solid, for a pipe clamp, many of the trainees who didn't relieve the stresses properly had problems.)

The only way to get truly parallel material from doing this would be to do both sides simultaneously and in even quantity. (Surface Grinding may be a possibility). I would rather exhaust other options before I even attempt to go there.

Best regards, Dave. ~~ Customise your internet experience

Dave

Just thinking out loud really, is there a process or part that uses this material that you could get into and blag some material?

Sometimes it's the only way to get something that appears to be non-available but you're sure you've 'seen it somewhere' !

I checked on RS Comp's and our local key steel stockists, the only one I didn't check but have done now was Macreadys, and they have only 1/16" in Silver Steel rounds, only 1/8" in squares unfortunately.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Don't know the quantities but postage from the US is not bad.. You could try this outfit, has a lot of goodies that would interest modellers:

Search for the following part number: A 9C40-0212 The A is necessary..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Then take it up to red heat and let it cool before you mill it.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

In your case, Mr.Stevenson's Newsblock seems to be malfunctioning.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Hi Chris,

I was thinking about 3ft originally. I think I need about 24". It will be cut into 4 pieces of approx 6" each. It will then be silver soldered togethor.

It probably doesn't have to be exactly 1/16", I was thinking anywhere between about 1.5mm and 2mm would be OK.

If you do have any, that would be great, if not, then I will look at some of the other suggestions here.

Best regards, Dave Colliver. ~~ Customise your internet experience

Dave

J&L carry 1/16" key steel in 12" lengths. Part no# SKS-20116B £2.20 each.

Tel: 0800 663355

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

They are also running a 25% discount offer which I think closes 9/9/04!

Steve

Reply to
Steve