Milling/Lathe recommendation

I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive milling/lathe hobby machine for working with ali and acrylic. I've never used or worked with these machines but need to start so can someone help me out and give me some recommendations? I would be using it in the UK on smallish pcs. I was looking at both the Clark ones and those like the Ultimate 4.

Any ideas?

Reply to
James
  1. Look at the cheapy web site - always a few cheapy bargains to be had.
  2. look at
  3. Join your local model engineering club - they've usually got their tabs on 2nd hand gear coming up for sale in their area.
Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Lathe wise my first machine was a Drummond M type - superb starter machine for around £100-£150 quid. They come up on Ebay and are advertised on Chris Heapy's site at:

still think it's a great starter lathe but may run a little slow for Ali and acrylic.

Milling wise like many people I sued a vertical slide on the lathe until I outgrew it.

Franky never been impressed with the "Clarke" lathes .....

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Cheapy web site?

Do you have a uRL?

Thanks,

Reply to
James

I have only recently started myself, but found that I quickly wanted t

upgrade to a better machine. I'd definatly recommend you buy seperat machines, perhaps buy one first and once you have got the hang of i buy the other. Is space a problem for you? I would recommend the tai mill for a good small bench mill. It certainly isnt the cheapest, but am really pleased with mine

-- milg

----------------------------------------------------------------------- milgo's Profile:

this thread:

milgo

James,

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Ya I've been trying to think about what i would actually use and I think I should probably start with a mill.

I can always get a rotary table for any circular cuts. Does that seem sensible?

How much did you Taig cost you and where did you get it?

Cheers,

View this thread:

James

I hink someone else posted it.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

It can be done that way, but you're not guaranteed the best circular accuracy that comes with spinning the workpiece; for example, if the milling head is not completely vertical, then you'll be turning a cone and not a cylinder

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Also, the length of cylinder that you can turn is restricted by the workpiece colliding with the milling head.

However, it _CAN_ be done, and may get you going depending upon what are your needs

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

james, I got a cnc ready one for £590. For a manual it is £400 + £90 fo

the spindle motor, so £490. The chinese imports are obviously cheape than a US one, but you can really tell the difference. For that pric you will also get 2 imperial collets and a collet closer. It doesn hold large end mills, which could be seen as a downside for a manua mill (not a big deal if its cnc). You can get blank arbors and thing to make your own end mill holders or whatever. There is only one dealer in the UK.

You will have t give him a ring, but he always has everything in stock. The taig is also relitivly easily upgradable to cnc because they sell motor mount kit, so perhaps future proofing

-- milg

----------------------------------------------------------------------- milgo's Profile:

this thread:

milgo

James,

It really depends on what you want to make and what size you need. It's worth remembering that, in general, lathes can be set up to do small milling operations (particularly with a vertical slide attachment), whereas milling machines are not as good at making things round.

Many model engineers (particularly years ago) would produce whole models on their lathe. Most milling machines are not that versatile.

I would look carefully at your requirements, always remember that you can't make big things on small equipment but you can make both big and small stuff on big machines!

If you need a small, CNC capable milling machine, you won't go far wrong with the Taig machine or similar, otherwise, maybe think about a second hand Myford ML7 lathe which because of the attachments that are still available for it, has to be one of the most versatile machines around.

Personally, I wouldn't, unless space is a problem, go for one of the 3-in-1 machines (lathe, mill and drill). People do use them to very good effect, but everything is a compromise - believe me, I speak from experience! Plan to go for separate lathe / mill if you can.

I hope it helps.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Howard