Milling Machine Arbour

Denbigh Milling Machine

Several months ago I acquired a 60 year old Milling machine. It has a

4 morse taper drive to a right angled gear drive to the universal head, which has a 2 morse taper and for which I have bought on Ebay an arbour for holding 1 inch slitting saws and milling tools.

I have been searching for a 4 MT arbour for the main drive as it is obviously more satisfactory. I can use the whole of the table and the power drive for it, for one thing as when using the universal head I can only mill across the table and there is only a width of about 8 inches and no power drive.

What I have found are two 4 MT tools one has a flange at the end and has been made into a flycutter. I could use this to attach an arbour to give me the capability to mount saws etc in the longitudinal direction. The Denbigh machine also has an over arm which can - if I turn down the end to 1/2'" provide a very strong support at the end.

Assuming I cannot find the exact arbour to fit the 4 MT and drawbar existing, what is the best means of driving an arbour?

At an old machinery shop I have found some arbours having another sort of taper and presumably a different drawbar thread. The trouble is that both the arbour and another 4MT with an internal thread to which I might attach a flange of some kind to drive an arbour are both hardened and so I don't think I shall be able to machine them in any way. Unless I can de-temper them(?)

Is there any fairly simple way round this? Does anyone have a suitable arbour ? The drawbar thread is 5/8 Whitworth.

I do have some pictures of this on my website - in the Old Engines bit in Personal Stuff. At maribelecosytems.com As you can no doubt tell I am not a mechanical engineer by trade but I can see lots of ways I can use this if I can support the right tools. I have sorted out all the other things on the machine.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards George.

Reply to
George

Why? >

Using a 4 MT blank end arbor?

maribelecosytems.com doesn't seem to exist. >

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Sorry - a blooming typo, - it should be "systems" as in

Using the universal head allows only a vertical milling tool like an end mill, to be power driven along the table of the machine, if I put a slitting saw in the small arbour it is across the plane of the table, using the horizontal drive it would be in line.

I need to be able to cut a long keyway in the output shaft on one of my old (Lister) engines. I had to build up the shaft and then turn it down to a slightly larger diameter, which worked OK, but my attempt at a keyway using a drill press was less than successful!

Regards George.

Reply to
George

Yes an endmill could be used, also several other types of cutters.

By using a slot drill in the vertical attachment you could also cut that long keyway under power.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Yes Tom,

I probably could, but long term, having a horizontal arbour would be better. Another way would be to turn the shaft through 90 degrees and hold it in that position while I use the cutting tool flat. I didn't think of that!

Thanks George.

Reply to
George

Buy a cheap MT4 ER40 chuck & collets. Use silver steel for arbour.

HTH

Reply to
John Montrose

George

To cut a keyway in a long shaft why don't you use the vertical head Put a suitable size milling cutter in the milling chuck (you are usin a milling chuck with a drawbar I hope), set up the shaft which need slotting lengthways along the bed and away you go. With power feed yo can take several light cuts without too much physical effort!

If you are intend to use the horizontal drive on the machine you shoul have an overarm which fits in the large hole at the top of the machin and supports an arbor which fits into the 4MT drive. If you havent go the overarm and horizontal arbor you are missing some usefu attachments for your machine.

As a bodge you could try converting the 4MT to 2MT by buying a 4 to MT sleeve. You might find one which has no tang but if not, buy on with a tang, cut off the tang with an angle ginder and make a sleev open at both ends.You can then use a 2MT milling chuck or collet with drawbar and use your slitting saw arbor.

Make sure you have guards in place and take care.

Joh

-- jlh4

this thread:

jlh45

Ah yes, I never thought of that, John! 4 MT seems to be a bit less common than the others, though and I can't remember seeing any on Ebay. There is a substantial overarm, - see my website, but unless there is a drawbar, I am afraid it might slip on the taper. As yet I cannot afford a set of collets.

Regards George

Reply to
George