Mitutoyo DRO type GML-3705W mains transformer failed

Threaded View

I've got a two axis DRO on my mill with an old Mitutoyo GML-3705W
display unit. It's not been used for a bit over a year and when I
switched it on this evening nothing lit up on the display front panel.

I've taken it apart and the primary of the mains transformer is open
circuit between 0V and 100V (the lowest voltage tap). The taps between
100V and 240V all show a reasonable resistance.

The secondaries seem OK and aren't shorted. Nor are the reservoir caps
in the DC supplies shorted. The 500mA mains fuse is intact. Maybe the
transformer just gave up the ghost all on its own?

It seems unlikely Mitu will have a spare for this obsolete device, at
least not at a price I'll want to pay, although I will phone their place
in Andover next week. I'm expecting to have to get the original rewound,
or a have a custom one made, or just throw it in the bin and console
myself with the thought that DROs are cheating anyway.

In the meantime, I wonder if anyone has worked on one of these, or has a
circuit diagram, or knows what the transformer spec is, or has a working
spare they want to sell for not much? I know it's a long shot, but...

Thanks,

Alan

Re: Mitutoyo DRO type GML-3705W mains transformer failed

Do you have a 110v transformer or a variac available?

Connect this between the 100v and 240 volt taps and measure the
secondary voltages. scale up if you are only putting 110v into 140v part
of the primary.
Get a general purpose transformer with similar voltages and a core of a
similar cross sectional area - should be fine.

Bob

Re: Mitutoyo DRO type GML-3705W mains transformer failed

Thanks for the suggestion, Bob. I've done the measurements and the
tranny is a bit bespoke. 12VAC to drive a 1A 5V rail for the logic.
3.4-0-3.4, maybe for the RS232?? 40VAC to drive a 30V rail for the
vacuum fluorescent display.

I did speak to a nice lady at Mitu in Andover but she laughed a lot when
I asked if they had spares for this unit. It's 20-25 years old so
they've no spares, no circuit diagram, not even a parts breakdown.
I might take the transformer to my local place and see if they can
rewind it or make me a replacement for not too many beer tokens. Most
likely I'll just stick several junk transformers in a box on top of the
Mitu case.

The fault was a dead short on the 30V DC rail. A wild stab in the dark
prompted me to pull one leg of a tantalum decoupling cap off that rail.
Voila, il marche! Fitting a replacement in the PTH board will be a right
pig as usual. Out with the solder wick, solder sucker and sewing needle.
But tomorrow.

Alan

Re: Mitutoyo DRO type GML-3705W mains transformer failed

Good to hear it's a simple to fix fault.

Why would replacing the part in the PTH board be a problem. In my
experience with such things you just heat one side and pull the leg to
clear the hole. If not clear enough to get the new component lead in
then heat one side and have then solder sucker on the other side of the
hole to pull out the excess solder, job done.

Re: Mitutoyo DRO type GML-3705W mains transformer failed

Just one other thought, on some occasions with old solder it helps the
run new solder into the partly cleared  PTH hole to help it be pulled
out and cleared more easily.

Re: Mitutoyo DRO type GML-3705W mains transformer failed
The vacuum fluorescent display will have a low voltage heater usually
only 3 volts ac often centre tapped to the cathode supply (they use AC
so one end of the display is not brighter than t'other.
This may be your 3.4-0-3.4 but that sounds a bit high. Go carefully as
if you pop the heater, then the display is buggered and replacements
will be on infinite delivery from Mars!
RS sell transformer kits with ready wound primaries and DIY secondaries.
Might fit the bill?
Good luck

Bob

Mitutoyo DRO type GML-3705W mains transformer failed
Hello Alan. I'm hoping to contact you. I came across this post. I have the
same problem you had. If you see this I was hoping you found a suitable tra
nsformer replacement and could share that information. Thank you in advance
. My email is donald_lee99@hotmail.com

Site Timeline