molding sand suggestions for suppliers

I need some molding sand as I find I need to csat a handle in aluminum I normally just cast solid shapes then machine to what ever I need but this time its not possible and as this is a job for SWMBO Ive managed to lose my john winter book so have no idea of cost .Now I know I can make green sand but don't fancy the hard work does anyone have recommendations I,m on the essex suffolk boarder if any one knows of any foundry local I would rather oil bonded if possible

Thanks Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Bishop

You could try Hadleigh Castings Andrew

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Hi Andrew,

In addition to Hadleigh you might consider Finch Seaman at Braintree their web site is

I think you mean cold setting resin binded which uses a liquid resin and catalyst system analagous to the ubiquitous araldite although quite different chemistry. the old stoved Linseed "Oil Sand" is practically unused these days.

If you do indeed fancy having a go yourself John Winter supply a super service and their web site is

Good luck - regrettably we only cast iron and bronze in our foundry.

Keith

Reply to
englishfoundryman

aluminum

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

In addition to Hadleigh you might consider Finch Seaman at Braintree their web site is

I think you mean cold setting resin binded which uses a liquid resin and catalyst system analagous to the ubiquitous araldite although quite different chemistry. the old stoved Linseed "Oil Sand" is practically unused these days.

If you do indeed fancy having a go yourself John Winter supply a super service and their web site is

Good luck - regrettably we only cast iron and bronze in our foundry.

Keith

Andrew, You could use sodium silicate mixed sand which is set by passing CO2 thnrough it - very simple. Buy dry bagged silver sand from a builders merchant - mix in about 3% sodium silicate by weight, ram and gas simply by inverting a funnel over the mould and releasing your pub gas into the funnel via a rubber tube. I can let you have some sodium silicate (waterglass) if you don't have a local source)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Nah. He meant oil bonded sand (eg Petrobond or similar)

:-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

.com...

That would be the ideal I had my hand reproduced in ali using this method and the detail was good when i enquired about buying some it was only in large barrels if I could purchase some of you that would be perfect or if you know of a suppler who sells small amounts as i understand it has a shelf life .

Thanks Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Bishop

in

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@p15g2000vbl.googlegro ups.com...

builders

That would be the ideal I had my hand reproduced in ali using this method and the detail was good when i enquired about buying some it was only in large barrels if I could purchase some of you that would be perfect or if you know of a suppler who sells small amounts as i understand it has a shelf life .

Thanks Andrew

Yes it probably does have a theoretical shelf life, but I have a drum I've used for years and it was ok when I last used it

Send me your snail mail address by email (despam my address) and I'll post you a litre (or whatever bottle I can find) and you can refund whatever the postage is.

Regards,

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Andrew,

Is it "dry" sodium silicate you use or the runny stuff for doing strange things with eggs?

TIA

Reply to
Steve

message

wrote

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@p15g2000vbl.googlegro

boarder

Braintree

foundry.

refund

The later - it's a syrupy liquid

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thanks, I fancy giving that a go, just getting the time...

Reply to
Steve