More than I need ...

I have some Fomblin oil and some cable protector, both of which have been mentioned here on recent threads, in excess to my requirements.

The Fomblin oil is Solvay YL VAC 06/6, which I believe is the thinnest grade available, and retails at £128 per kilogram in kilogram lots - yes, that's correct, it's very expensive indeed. I don't know why, but it is sold by weight rather than by volume. Can ship 50 or 100 gram lots at pro-rata retail price plus postage.

The cable protector is spiral wound stainless steel, like shower hose covering, stainless type unknown but may be ?303? if that makes sense, 7mmm OD, 5 mm ID. I can't remember the exact price, but it was around 25 p per meter. Again, available at cost plus postage for say 10 m.

Not trying to make a buck, just be helpful; an extra 50 p for the envelope/bottle would be appreciated, and I will only sell to people who inhabit this list (though an occasional lurker might get through) so please don't repost this elsewhere.

My email is, as always (ouch!!) real.

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Me, me me! I want it. All!

You have mail!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

If you don't mind me asking : why ?

Reply to
Boo

To protect cables.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

To lubricate his Fomblin perhaps?

Stu G

Reply to
stooby-doo

Peter

Sorry to say that my lack of attention to detail (didn't read your offer!!) means that I have missed the opportunity but thought I would ask a related question for some advice if you have time.

I'm in the process of re-wiring my Bridgeport to use a VFD and was looking for something to protect the wires that go to the head and to the remote panel. Is this the sort of thing I should be looking to buy or can you point me in the direction of something suitable. I expect

10-15 m would be plenty but can I buy it in these small quantities.

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

I have a bit more - ten metres is okay, if that's enough? I don't know if it's what you'd need for a Bridgy head though, perhaps you might need something bigger, it's only 5 mm ID / 7 mm OD and it's not 100% water-/oil-proof, but it's pretty sturdy and sufficiently flexible for eg a small mill's cnc motor drive cables (if you can thread the wires through it), and almost certainly okay for eg a small DRO type cable.

Nick Muller and lemel_man should have some by now, perhaps they can comment better on suitability.

I don't have any fittings for it, I either turn my own or drill out a brake-pipe fitting to 7 mm if a threaded fitting is needed.

Send me your snail-mail address offlist and I can send you 10 m, 15 m at a pinch if you really need that much, I am getting low. My email is real but slow to answer.

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Not yet. Might take a few more days. No need for "But I have sent ..." and the like. :-) Postage *to* Munich takes one or two days longer, for some reason.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

The stuff that I am using to replace that used on the Beaver mill is this:-

Glands with a 16x1.5mm conduit thread are available from the same place. It's nominally the same size as the stuff that was on the mill, just not flattened and dented:-)

It can be seen on the motor of an ML7 here:-

or (larger) here:-

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

That's the stuff, except the type I have is thinner.

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

I've bought shielded cable by the metre from City Electrical Factors (there's a branch in many towns). This is three-phase with a braided steel covering and a transparent PVC outer. I used it to connect a motor to a VFD but it would be unnecessarily thick to connect the control box.

I think a narrower version with more cores is available, but perhaps not as easily (you might need to buy a reel). However, the narrow conduit Peter has would be fine there.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

Peter

Thank you very much for your kind offer but as you suspected it is not big enough for my needs. I have tried to get the cables through a 5mm hole but too tight for comfort. Also when looking at the job instead of "thinking" about it, I realize that by wiring the VFD into the original electrical box I can use the original plug/socket/wiring to the head (re-arranged of course). Thanks again for your offer of help.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

here:-

here:-

Mark/Adrian

Thank you very much for the pointers, although I have cracked the original problem I will buy some as you suggest for the same task on my Myford and Warco lathes. Must say that I'm often surprised that things that I feel will be expensive or difficult to get are often no so when you know what for and where to look. Thanks again.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

I got it to protect the low tension wires for a VFD on my lathe. Haven't installed it yet but it looks exactly right. Its rather small for the power cables, but I don't need it for them.

Reply to
lemel_man