Motor bearings

A bit of a long shot but as a long time lurker I've seen conversations about bearings so:-

I've got a blower motor, it's from the neighbours GEC Nightstore 100 economy 7 central heating boiler. It blows the hot air around the hot

is fine, apart from the bearings.

They are still on the rotor but appear to be about 7mm x 25mm x7mm (inner, outer, and width) but they could be imperial. They are a tight fit to the rotor shaft but easily came out of the covers. The bricks can get up to 200 degrees C so I presume they are high temperature. There is a number 7/85 on the motor end cap but I have no idea if that refers to the bearings or not.

We live near Tadcaster, N Yorks and I'm wondering if anyone has any idea where we can go get the bearings replaced near us. The neighbours in his 80's and I'm disabled so travelling far is not an option but we could always post the rotor and bearing somewhere.

Thanks for reading.

Reply to
Rodney Pont

Google "Bearing Boys" and "Simply Bearings" then call them both up and discuss. They are both very helpful and have a rapid postal service - can be overnight.

Best to get a more accurate measurement or maybe the numbers off the old bearings so you can discuss in a more informed manner.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thanks Andrew,

I've had a look at Bearing Boys and am now more confident in finding the bearings. It also looks like the spindle is thicker for the bearings, 9mm internal, which would have really helped my earlier Googling :-)

I'll get a bearing puller (I've only got ones where the legs won't fit under the bearing here and the spindle is 80mm long above the bearing) and a vernier caliper (my eyes aren't up to reading a ruler with mm accuracy these days).

Reply to
Rodney Pont

Good information on both as I've dealt with both companies and had very good service. I looked up standard bearing sizes in my SKF catalogue and

7 x 25 x 7 isn't listed as a standard item but 7 x 22 x 7 is so you may want to check the dimensions again. Also look at the airflow as does the fan blow hot air and get hot or just blow air which will be heated, it'll make a difference to the bearing requirements.
Reply to
David Billington

I did think about this after posting, I was worried about heat transfer down the drive shaft. The hot blower is in it's own housing as is the motor and they are separated by about half an inch. The motor has it's own fan on the shaft in it's housing which pulls outside air through the motor and then back out to the room so I only need bearings that can run continuously, maybe C3.

Reply to
Rodney Pont

go to any car workshop with the rotor, they will be able to pull the bearings off the shaft, there should be numbers on the side of the bearing for identification.

Reply to
sorry

There is a 609 bearing 9mm bore 24 od and 7mm wide

Might be one of those?

629 is 9mm bore, 26 OD and 8mm wide

They are the only 9mm bore ones in my Boys Book of Bearings , blagged from BSL many years ago

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I've got my vernier caliper and pulled the bearings off. They are 9mm x

26mm x 8mm but I can't quite read the markings. I looked the size up at Bearing Boys and Simply Bearings and found some 629-2Z which the markings match (well knowing what to look for helped) but my markings are followed by a J. So I've ordered 2 SKF 6292ZC3GJN from simply bearings. They do them through ebay so I don't have to register for a one off purchase.

Thanks for all of the help.

Reply to
Rodney Pont

The bearings arrived the next day and are now fitted and the blower is back in place. It's running like a dream and the neighbour says it's like new.

Thanks for everyones help.

Reply to
Rodney Pont

Always good to hear a positive result :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson