Motor wiring

Hi all, Just been given a Parvalux electric motor, but need advise on connection please: Volts 220 AC MFD 6.0 Volts 240 AC MFD 5.0 HZ 50 Phase 1 Amps 0.66 HP 1/8 Watts 93 RPM 1400 Rating Cont

It has 3 wires: 2 white and 1 grey. Anyone know which is live, neutral and earth please. Cheers GeoffH

Reply to
GeoffH

If you use a test meter to check for continuity between the motor frame & a wire, that wire will be Earth. If the other two wires are the same colour I would think that the Live & Neutral are interchangable. What do others think!

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Map
Map

Dave Croft

It is a single phase motor and you will require a 5mfd capacitor rated for mains operation. Two of the leads should be connected direct to L & N of the mains supply and the third wire goes to the capacitor. The other capacitor terminal can be connected to L or N depending on direction of rotation desired.

As far as I know there is no standard colour code for wire identification but a call to Parvalux should elicit the info for your motor.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Your earth continuity test would certainly be a good starting point, but if there's no link to the frame the third wire might be the start winding, if the capacitor isn't integral it would need to be wired through a cap to one of the others. On second thoughts, a motor that small possibly has the 'second phase' permanently wired (no centrifugal switch), but it would still need the cap if there isn't one already wired in.

Cheers Tim Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

Reply to
GeoffH

Geoff, This from the motor rewind people. Live and neutral to the two whites, one end of the cap to the grey and the other to one white depending on rotation. Earth to frame. Use a 5 or 6MfD it's not that important.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

John to the rescue as usual. I take it if I use a suitable rotary switch I can then select direction of rotation? This could be very useful. Cheers GeoffH

Reply to
GeoffH

Geoff, try here for the parvalux info.

Make sure your switch is suitably rated and allow the motor to come to rest before switching direction of rotation.

Regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Er where would that be Bob?

Will do. Cheers GeoffH

Reply to
GeoffH

OOPs sorry that was a test of your internet mind reading capability. Here is a clue!

Just popping back under my stone,

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin