Oil only socks or pads!

Spured on by a post in the Chaski forums I thought I would ask a question.

Does anyone use the oil only socks or pads in their coolent tanks to soak up oil from the cutting oil/coolent tanks.

I was wondering if the oil only stuff absorbs the cutting oil as well as tramp oil. If anyone used them I would be grateful of any feedback.

I can buy the oil ionly stuff from Pig!! but at the cost of the product would like to know if it is suitable first.

Also in my hobby only the coolent can sit there for quite some time before being used and can look quite bad. One of the posts mentions putting a UV lamp over the tank to kill off the bacteria, I guess that would be similar to the fishtank filter systems with the black lamps, again as anyone had any experiance with this?

Cheers

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

I can't comment on how well it would work, but Blackwell Hydraulics have had Oil Only rolls & pads on a pretty good offer recently. Might be worth a G**gle to see if they have a branch near you.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

I have tried the oil only pads in the degreasing tank to try to lift tramp oil of the top.Waste of time,found it quicker,easier and cheaper in the long run to use a skimmer. Mark.

Reply to
mark

I was thinking of floating a pad on top of my collent tank and allowing the cutting fluid to fall/drip onto it, hopeing the cutting fluid would go through the pad and the oil remain trapped within it, perhaps not! I guess I could do with a few samples to try.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

They do seem to do quite cheep from what I have seen at £35 plus post and VAT on top for 200 pads. I will have to see what others say and give them a ring.

adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson